The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Back to reality with 05 Brun, 05 Labaille LMD, and my 1st ESJ wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: Back to reality with 05 Brun, 05 Labaille LMD, and my 1st ESJ wine

by Marc D » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:25 pm

After last Saturday evening's tasting of multiple bottles of syrah from the Rhone, it was back to the normal everyday routine for me. I did enjoy trying the wines, and sharing cellar treasures with other wine geeks was a blast. Would I drink aged Hermitage and the like all the time if I had the money and the cellar? Maybe, but then it wouldn't be as special as the rare times I get to try these kind of wines. A good bottle that compliments the food on the table is nice enough.

2005 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Beaujolais Cuvée Ancienne France, Beaujolais

This was open and delicious and was an excellent match with a roasted chicken. Very minerally with complex red fruits, juicy and bright in the mouth with sneaky 05 tannins. Should just improve from here as there is good balance and lots of structure for Beaujolais. $12, a great value. 12%abv. It is quite drinkable right now, while waiting for some of the 2005 single Cru Beaujolais to open up.

2005 Thomas-Labaille Sancerre Les Monts Damnés France, Loire, Sancerre

This doesn't have the flashy nose that SB from other parts of the world has, and compared to the 04 Labaille LMD, it is riper without the high acidity of last year's version. I think it has much better balance than the 2004, though. There is a lot of grip and structure here, and the acidity is balanced by some RS, which may be why other tasters (from notes I read on Cellar Tracker) perceive a lack of freshness. There is a light grassiness and some citrusy flavors with stones and flinty minerals towards the long finish. The flavors and some complexity show up when this is open for several hours and it held up well the second day. $20 full retail.

Great match with shrimp tacos with fresh cilantro. I love cilantro with Sauvignon blanc.

2001 Edmunds St. John Syrah Wylie-Fenaughty USA, California, Sierra Foothills, El Dorado County

I was excited to try this given everything I had heard about the wines. Also, with a recent tasting of some Syrah from the N Rhone fresh in my memory, I thought it would be a good time to compare and contrast this one. Dark purple color. On opening there is some menthol tinged dark fruits, smoke, black olive, and a whiff of fresh turned garden dirt. Ripe but well structured, ample tannins and surprising acidity for the ripeness. The flavors seem a little tight and compressed right now. There is both black and red fruits noticeable to me, and the finish has a slightly bitter cherry note. Very enjoyable and I would guess very ageable.

This held up well overnight, the menthol notes were gone, the wine a tad softer but the core of flavor more open on day two. My first of hopefully many more Edmunds St John wines. With the earthy flavors and nice acidity, I could have easily believed this came from the old world , maybe a Crozes Hermitage from a warmer year?

Excellent with grilled chicken and portobello sausages, which had a mild spice that didn't overwhelm the wine's flavors.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Back to reality with 05 Brun, 05 Labaille LMD, and my 1st ESJ wine

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:27 pm

Glad to have another person in the ESJ fold. I have not yet opened any of my own bottles of the 2001 W-F, and based on your note I may not.

Also pleased to see the note on the 2005 Brun. I have a few of the crus, but they are totally unapproachable right now.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:43 pm

David/All,
I too enjoy the 2001 ESJ W-F a bunch, but if you're intent on opening one now, do yourself a really big favor and decant it for at least 3 or 4 hours. Or, as Marc mentioned, open it the day before.
FWIW,
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:59 pm

Thanks for the note. I have a 2000 W-F in the cellar. If anyone has tried that, I would appreciate feedback on its status. Else, I'll just sit on it a little longer.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:48 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Glad to have another person in the ESJ fold. I have not yet opened any of my own bottles of the 2001 W-F, and based on your note I may not.

Also pleased to see the note on the 2005 Brun. I have a few of the crus, but they are totally unapproachable right now.

I am in the fold too!!! Never seen a bottle of ESJ, no agent up here, but have printed off TNs to my hearts delight. Maybe can find some in Montana when birding there in a couple of weeks! Hello, anyone here from that area!!??
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:21 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I am in the fold too!!! Never seen a bottle of ESJ, no agent up here, but have printed off TNs to my hearts delight. Maybe can find some in Montana when birding there in a couple of weeks! Hello, anyone here from that area!!??

Bob,
The ESJ website shows there is Montana distribution through:

Winegardner's Wines
4040 Graf St.
Bozeman, MT 59715
(406) 582-8739

Might be worth a dime to see if they can point you to a retailer.

Bill
Disclaimer: Who knows when Steve last updated this portion of his site :lol:
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:25 am

Marc D wrote:2001 Edmunds St. John Syrah Wylie-Fenaughty USA, California, Sierra Foothills, El Dorado County..surprising acidity for the ripeness..

Yes, these are not Jammy CA wines :D
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:59 pm

For the 2001 WF I really think it's best at the 2-4 hour mark just now.

Lovely wine that is only going to get better. I have enough but every time I walk into Astor Wines I am compelled to buy another bottle. $14.99 is a totally insane price for wine of this quality.