The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four pinots, chardonnay, viognier

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Charley Hood

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:20 pm

Ann Arbor, MI

WTN: Four pinots, chardonnay, viognier

by Charley Hood » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:09 pm

Some recent wines:

2005 Stone Wolf Chardonnay, Oregon 4/4/2007 Medium straw to a near clear edge. Smoky, toasty overtones, creamy vanillin qualities, lemon-citrus, pear and green apple fruit on the nose. Dry, structured entry to a chewy center of Bartlett pear and Granny Smith apple fruit laced with lemon-citrus qualities, malic acidity, lean meal tones, firm and direct, moderate consistent finish with prominent green apple skin qualities emerging.

2004 Littorai Pinot Noir, Les Larmes, Anderson Valley 4/5/2007 Medium red blue to a medium garnet edge. Suave cola and root beer notes, forest floor and a trace of creamy oak over deep, sweetish black cherry fruit on the nose. Smooth, lean stylish entry to a bright center of slightly tart black cherry fruit laced with tangy blackberry and round blueberry, cool stone fruit melds with tangy berry acidity beneath and a lightly spicy viscous canopy spreads above, the edges are sharply drawn, medium weight, moderate to long, warm, consistent, stylish finish. Great complex fruit, fabulous balance and definition.

2004 Roar Pinot Noir, Garys’ Vyd, Santa Lucia Highlands 4/15/2007 Medium black cherry to a medium pale black cherry edge. Soft, rich, creamy, saturated black cherry fruit, wet stone, light mineral qualities on the nose. Lean, stylish entry to a soft center of creamy black cherry fruit laced with driving mineral qualities, spicy overtones and lean, cool stone fruit and assertive black berry acidity, chunky fruit tannins at the edge, firm and focused, moderate to long consistent finish.

2004 Siduri Pinot Noir, Santa Lucia Highlands 4/15/2007 Pale medium garnet to a rose edge. Red and black cherry fruit, creamy oak, understated mineral tones on the nose. Rich, broad entry to an expansive center of red and black cherry fruit, round cherry acidity beneath, nice wrap of creamy oak, smooth and well-integrated, moderate consistent finish.

2005 Melville Viognier, Estate, Santa Rita Hills 4/20/2007 Bright pale golden to a clear edge, many tiny bubbles. Crisp and a bit shy, faint effervescent quality, now honey, melon and flower petals on the nose. Lean, assertive entry with effervescent quality (secondary fermentation in bottle?), rich center of floral varietal qualities, honey and ripe cantalope, dry well-defined edges and significant acidic verve, a bit on the heavy side of medium weight, some viscous qualities, long, complex consistent finish.

2005 Pali Pinot Noir, Turner Vyd, Santa Rita Hills 4/26/2007 Medium red blue to a pale violet edge. Bright, supple and expansive, note of cola over deep red berry fruit, fine mineral qualities, bit of pine straw on the nose. Dry, broad entry to a compact center of nervy red berry fruit, pomengranate follows, narrow still, bright berry acidity, bit of cinnamon, medium weight, moderate tangy finish.[/b]
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: Four pinots, chardonnay, viognier

by Bob Henrick » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:45 pm

Charley wrote:
2005 Stone Wolf Chardonnay, Oregon 4/4/2007 Medium straw to a near clear edge. Smoky, toasty overtones, creamy vanillin qualities, lemon-citrus, pear and green apple fruit on the nose. Dry, structured entry to a chewy center of Bartlett pear and Granny Smith apple fruit laced with lemon-citrus qualities, malic acidity, lean meal tones, firm and direct, moderate consistent finish with prominent green apple skin qualities emerging.

So Charley, did you like it? :-) Stone Wolf is one of my favorite Ore wineries, and I have a few bottles of this wine. I am thinking I will enjoy them this summer.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:54 pm

Ooh, the Littorai sounds fantastic. It's a winery I keep putting on my 'hunt' list, and then I'm out there shopping and can't remember which L word winery it is I want--I confuse Longoria, Landmark, and Littorai. I'll try to remember this time!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:55 pm

Jenise, are you familiar with Stone Wolf and Linda Lindsay?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Charley Hood

Rank

Wine geek

Ann Arbor, MI

by Charley Hood » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

Bob H wrote:

So Charley, did you like it? Stone Wolf is one of my favorite Ore wineries, and I have a few bottles of this wine. I am thinking I will enjoy them this summer.

Of course, Stone Wolf is one of my "go to" reliable whites. The 05 Pinot Gris is also a favorite.
no avatar
User

Charley Hood

Rank

Wine geek

Ann Arbor, MI

by Charley Hood » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:51 pm

Jenise wrote:

Ooh, the Littorai sounds fantastic. It's a winery I keep putting on my 'hunt' list, and then I'm out there shopping and can't remember which L word winery it is I want--I confuse Longoria, Landmark, and Littorai. I'll try to remember this time!

Those "L's" are pretty good in Pinot (like the "R's" in Zin). We could add Loring and Laeticia to that list.

Littorai is some serious stuff and I'd definitely recommend it as a more structured, Burgundian-like (but still Cal) interpretation of PN. Ted Lemon cut his winemaking teeth in Burgundy and was, I believe, the first American winemaker in Burgundy, at Dom. Guy Roulot.

The "Les Larmes" (The Tears) was made in 2003 and 2004 from One Acre Vineyard in Anderson Valley, which was phyloxera ridden and due to be ripped out and replanted. The 2005 continues the name but comes from other sources.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:46 pm

Yes on Loring, but I have to say my experience with Laeticia, or is it Laetitia, hasn't been as good as yours. In fact, they're the real source of my issue with the L names, in that I've been confused in the past about which one I wanted to avoid. That fog only cleared up after a winery visit last September--I didn't like one wine they poured me, and I'd paid for a premium flight. I didn't like the huckster that was pouring for me, either. Seemed like a tour bus kind of place--ever been?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Charley Hood

Rank

Wine geek

Ann Arbor, MI

by Charley Hood » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:19 pm

Jenise wrote:Yes on Loring, but I have to say my experience with Laeticia, or is it Laetitia, hasn't been as good as yours. In fact, they're the real source of my issue with the L names, in that I've been confused in the past about which one I wanted to avoid. That fog only cleared up after a winery visit last September--I didn't like one wine they poured me, and I'd paid for a premium flight. I didn't like the huckster that was pouring for me, either. Seemed like a tour bus kind of place--ever been?

Haven't been there (Laetitia) and have had mixed results with the wines--some impressive, some mundane. Just kinda got stuck on the alliterative thing, I guess.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:49 pm

I've had the '04 Littorai Les Larmes a couple of times...and just got the '05s delivered recently... it is just as Charley describes it...I find it `refreshing' to drink, in the sense that one's palate does not get fatigued.. I would say it is in the style of William-Selyem, for example...I can't believe you haven't tried any Littorai, Jenise...shame on you.. lay off those old Bordeaux!!

As nice as the '05 Melville Estate Viognier is (and I must confess to liking Viognier more than most to begin with), the Verna's bottling is even better.. the same is true for the Estate and Verna's Chardonnay... these are also great buys in the scheme of things.. around or even less than $20.
Cheers, Jim