The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Schmitges Erdener Busslay Kerner Spätlese 1993

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Schmitges Erdener Busslay Kerner Spätlese 1993

by Saina » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:25 pm

Schmitges Erdener Busslay Kerner Spätlese 1993 10,79€ 8%abv

I like M-S-R, I rather enjoy Kerner, under 20€ + interesting in Alko is a very rare combination and I like low abv because I like to drink several glasses. Ergo, this wine shows promise that I would enjoy it tremendously.

The good news is that I do. In fact I like it so much, that this would be my first "back up the truck" wine. The bad news is that I can't back up the truck, because I wasn't the only who noticed how nice it is so it is already sold out. I only got one bottle. :(

It has a mature, golden colour. The nose is a bit weird: my first association is with Piesporter Goldtröpfchen. That vineyard is apparently associated with a blackcurrant leaf aroma, and this delightful savoury aroma is well in evidence in this Kerner also. It reminds a bit of Riesling in its aromas, yet with a less pronounced minerality and more of a floral and leafy aroma.

The balance is impeccable. Highish acidity is countered by noticable RS (65 g/l). Long. Brilliant stuff for the price, and is drinking at what I presume is its optimum.

I have very little experience with Kerner. I would assume that with such acidity and vibrant fruit and overall balance, this can be a candidate for even further aging though it is great just now. Is Kerner known to age so brilliantly as this bottle would make me assume?

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Schmitges Erdener Busslay Kerner Spätlese 1993

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:35 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Otto. Much Kerner has been ripped out, as it's a high producing and generally low acid workhorse. The Busslay is the sort of secondary site where it may still be planted (though your bottle was of course older).

I generally do not find Kerner wine to age into anything interesting at all.
Decisions are made by those who show up