The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 01 Drouhin Clos des Mouches - Beaune

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

WTN: 01 Drouhin Clos des Mouches - Beaune

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:35 pm

Probably one of the best Burgundy I have ever had at this point as I try to understand the region, when I feel like cheating on my love for Italian wines. I am pretty sure that were I to live in Burgundy forever I would survive wine wise no doubt!

I took a big risk and went with my instincts when I was at the wine store. Eh! 2001 should be alright to open tonight. I got a waft of oak when I first poured the wine, but also lots of spice and typical Pinot Noir cherry fruit. At the attack it felt a lot rounder than I was expecting, however on the mid palate the zingy acidity kicked in, with a slight anise finish with a little prickly sensation of black pepper. It is going well with my grilled vegetables with feta and mozzarella dinner. I am totally in love with Pinot Noir and my curiosity for Burgundy has increased even more. I am dying to go to Burgundy - any of you want to sponsor me on Robin's trip this summer???????? :wink:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: 01 Drouhin Clos des Mouches - Beaune

by James Roscoe » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:41 pm

Paulo in Philly wrote:Probably one of the best Burgundy I have ever had at this point as I try to understand the region, when I feel like cheating on my love for Italian wines. I am pretty sure that were I to live in Burgundy forever I would survive wine wise no doubt!

I took a big risk and went with my instincts when I was at the wine store. Eh! 2001 should be alright to open tonight. I got a waft of oak when I first poured the wine, but also lots of spice and typical Pinot Noir cherry fruit. At the attack it felt a lot rounder than I was expecting, however on the mid palate the zingy acidity kicked in, with a slight anise finish with a little prickly sensation of black pepper. It is going well with my grilled vegetables with feta and mozzarella dinner. I am totally in love with Pinot Noir and my curiosity for Burgundy has increased even more. I am dying to go to Burgundy - any of you want to sponsor me on Robin's trip this summer???????? :wink:

Aren't you a rich entertainer who travels the world? I mean you sing, you dance, you wear funny costumes.... You should be sponsering ME for the Burgundy trip!

How much did this bottle cost you? Was it a state store purchase. Seriously great notes by the way. I aspire to this level of greatness.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:46 pm

I stood at the corner of 13th and Chestnut and sang for 3 hours like a monkey with a cup and begged for money, then I ran into the wine store and paid about $40. I did not drink wine all week because I had evening rehearsals, so tonight I thought I'd splurge! 8)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:56 pm

How much did the organ grinder get? :lol:
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:11 am

Paulo, nice note. No flies on that. :wink:

I tried the 2003 version of that wine and it was beautiful, in the context of the vintage. I remember it had a very supple, silky texture and pure raspberryish fruit. I bet the '01 was great. I really like Drouhin, even sometimes the low end Laforet stuff.

Hey, if you find a sponsor for the Burgundy tour and need someone to carry your bag, let me know.

Best,
Marc

Oh, btw, $40 is a pretty good price for CdMouches, the 05 is closer to $65.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:09 am

Indeed no flies at all! 8)

Thanks for your comments, Marc. I had tried some of the Laforet, but this was very different. I was surprised to learn that they add some Pinot Gris to the wine when I visited their website. I will be having the rest of the bottle tonight with dinner, so, I am looking forward to see how the wine will taste on day 2.

I'll add you to the Burgundy baggage carrier waiting list!!! :wink:
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:51 am

Paulo..we definitely must be kin. The '98 Drouhin Clos de Mouches was my epiphany wine!!! And I drank my last bottle with Jenise.

I paid back then I think $50, the most I had ever paid for a bottle at that point and for some time after. I never see this bottling in the stores where I shop.. maybe I need to get back to Philly to find it...

I'm going to make an effort to find the '01. Thanx for the trip down memory lane...

P.S. I've just checked Wine-Searcher, and the best price I find for this wine is $60...you got a friggin deal, bro!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Pinot Gris in red Burgundy, wow, that is interesting. I would of have guessed there was a law against that sort of thing, with all the rules and regulations there. I wonder if it is an exception for this particular Clos?

Marc
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:34 pm

The '98 Drouhin Clos de Mouches was my epiphany wine!!! And I drank my last bottle with Jenise.

:D
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:15 pm

Marc D wrote:Pinot Gris in red Burgundy, wow, that is interesting. I would of have guessed there was a law against that sort of thing, with all the rules and regulations there. I wonder if it is an exception for this particular Clos?

Marc

That is news to me as well. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.drouhin.com/commun/frameset. ... eaune.html
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:20 pm

James Dietz wrote:Paulo..we definitely must be kin. The '98 Drouhin Clos de Mouches was my epiphany wine!!! And I drank my last bottle with Jenise.

I paid back then I think $50, the most I had ever paid for a bottle at that point and for some time after. I never see this bottling in the stores where I shop.. maybe I need to get back to Philly to find it...

I'm going to make an effort to find the '01. Thanx for the trip down memory lane...

P.S. I've just checked Wine-Searcher, and the best price I find for this wine is $60...you got a friggin deal, bro!!

My goodness - that is a significant difference in price. I may need to buy more of these just to have them around and wear them as ear rings or somethin'....

Nice to hear you enjoyed this as well - I am jealous you got to share this wine with La Jenise!

Yes - it is time that you come to Philadelphia again, Jim!!!! 8)
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:26 pm

CdMouches is a favourite of mine. Here are notes of my most recent experiences. I also had a 1990 recently: briliant and very Pinot-like despite the hot year. I bought a bottle of the 1983 for a very fair price, but unfortunately this gamble didn't pay off: the colour was stunning: deep core but a wide rim promising a mature wine. But it was corked. :( But judging by how the 1990 turned out, and how complex these wines are, I would hold them for 10+ years. This is a great 1er Cru site for Drouhin, IMO.

-Otto-
Last edited by Saina on Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:30 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:CdMouches is a favourite of mine.
http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=7142&highlight=clos+mouche]Here
are notes of my most recent experiences. I also had a 1990 recently: briliant and very Pinot-like despite the hot year. I bought a bottle of the 1983 for a very fair price, but unfortunately this gamble didn't pay off: the colour was stunning: deep core but a wide rim promising a mature wine. But it was corked. :( But judging by how the 1990 turned out, and how complex these wines are, I would hold them for 10+ years. This is a great 1er Cru site for Drouhin, IMO.

-Otto-

That sucks! Did you have a good back up? I need to get up to Helsinki. You drink awfully well for a humble history student.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:53 pm

James Dietz wrote:

I ran back to the store after today's rehearsal and bought another bottle of the 01. $39.99 plus 7% tax, Jim! Hate me yet???? 8)
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:09 pm

Paulo in Philly wrote:
James Dietz wrote:

I ran back to the store after today's rehearsal and bought another bottle of the 01. $39.99 plus 7% tax, Jim! Hate me yet???? 8)

Only one??!!! Yeah...I'm starting to resent cha!! :wink:
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:31 pm

The pinot gris is grandfathered in since it was always there. It used to have some chardonnay in it as well until they started bottling the chardonnay seperately.

It ages superbly, that '83 Otto mentioned (maybe I shouldn't say this given his disappointment) was beautifully mature 2-4 years ago when I opened a few I had bought at auction. The '72 on the other hand is still lovely but noticeably on the downslope.

The '01s are still fairly widely available. Many people avoid them because of the hail in the Cote de Beaune that year but that mainly affected Volnay and I haven't had any problems with Beaunes or Savigny Les Beaunes.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:38 pm

Jay Miller wrote:The '01s are still fairly widely available. Many people avoid them because of the hail in the Cote de Beaune that year but that mainly affected Volnay and I haven't had any problems with Beaunes or Savigny Les Beaunes.

I wonder if that is why the price is lower here in Philadelphia than most places around the country (see Jim Dietz' post). My heart is in Italy for sentimental reasons, but I am very intrigued by Burgundy. Have you been there in your travels?
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:38 am

Nope, I'm afraid my vacation time has never been sufficient to travel as much as I'd like. It tends to get eaten up quickly.