The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wet cement: Coteaux du Vendomois VV 2004 Patrice Colin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

WTN: Wet cement: Coteaux du Vendomois VV 2004 Patrice Colin

by Howard » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:12 pm

Coteaux du Vendomois VV 2004 Patrice Colin

This is a 100% Chenin Blanc from the Loire. It's kind of an odd wine with a very distinctive wet cement or wet stone nose that definitely carries into the palate. Chalk, some flowers, honey pretty good acidity are all there. It's a good food wine and doesn't seem flawed in any way, but it really doesn't seem to come together somehow. It's worth tasting, though, just so when I hear people talk about rain on stones or wet cement aroma I know exactly what they're talking about.

Here is a write up from a British wine seller. I didn't get the peaches, melons etc, until I read the write up. But now that you mention it, they're also there.

http://www.cadmanfinewines.co.uk/WineDe ... c2d101054z

"Maison Colin's cellars, like many in the area, is located inside a cave. This part of the Touraine district, near the town of Vendôme, is strewn with chalk caverns; the result of rocks having been extracted from hillsides to build fences and houses. The caves were subsequently used as homes, and although they are too cold to live in by today's standards, they are great for making and storing wine.

Patrice Colin (the current owner), whose great-grandfather planted the estate's first vines here, practices traditional, environmentally-friendly farming methods, including returning all by-products such as pruned vines and grape skins to the earth. These methods are consistent with the standards of Terra Vitis - the trade organization in France which governs environmental wine farming.
Tasting Notes...

Elegant and delicate floral and mineral notes to the fore. Richly textured with honey and nutty nuances. Wonderful ripe core of sweet melon and peaches and apricots, kept in focus by a good cut of refreshing acidity."
Howard
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: My new favorite appellation

by Bruce K » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:43 pm

Howard, thanks for the notes. I haven't ever tried any whites from Coteaux du Vendômois, but I recently tried a red from there at a Loire wine tasting that was made with 100 percent Pineau d'Aunis -- my first wine made from that grape that wasn't produced by Belleviere or Clos Roche Blanche. Anyway, I loved it -- it had that mix of strawberry, white pepper and minerals that I associate with Pd'A -- and ordered a bunch. The producer was Domaine de Montrieux. As someone who's a Loire freak, I was pleased to find an appellation I've never tried before and a wine I really enjoyed.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: Wet cement: Coteaux du Vendomois VV 2004 Patrice Colin

by Marc D » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:59 pm

Howard, I get a sense of wet cement minerals in some of the Loire Cab Francs from Bourgueil and Chinon. Try one from Breton or Baudry if you see it around. Also they are very good wines with food.

Thanks for the note on the Patrice Colin. Was it dry or off dry Chenin?

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

Re: My new favorite appellation

by Howard » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:10 pm

Bruce,

I've had a couple of the Clos Roche Blanche and enjoyed them a lot. I think Robin introduced me to that but I haven't had any of the others. I'll look for them.
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

Re: WTN: Wet cement: Coteaux du Vendomois VV 2004 Patrice Colin

by Howard » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:13 pm

Marc,
This is dry Chenin. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look for them. I'm beginning to like Loire wines a lot. Not least for their price to value...
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

UPDATE

by Howard » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:42 am

Much better integrated today (48 hours after opening). Nice stuff with a roasted asparagus/spinach/mozzarella cheese salad for dinner. Not sure what to make of that but I've got no more bottles to follow.
Howard