The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A great 1947 and other fun wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A great 1947 and other fun wines

by Saina » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:38 pm

Ratzenberger Bacharacher Kloster Furstental Riesling Sekt Brut 2001 (23€ 13,5% abv)

Lemon and sweet strawberry on the nose, very Rieslingy. Nicely mineral. Small and elegant mousse. Fruity, but savoury palate. Long and mineral and true to the grape - very nice!

We also opened a Montfaucon Côtes du Rhône "Baron Louis" 2003

Young and dark colour. The nose is very sugary, but is typical S. Rhône in its exuberant, strawberry-like fruit and garrigue. It is very full bodied, with nice and ripe but noticable tannins, but low acidity. Though the label only shows 13,5% abv (and our Monopoly does check that the label is within the EU standards of +/-0,5% abv) there is a bit of heat. On the whole, this isn't as freakish a wine as many 2003s have been, but is still a wine to approach with caution as it will not appeal to those of us who like a more savoury style. But it is a success for those who don't mind a big, opulent but wine in a true S. Rhône style.

But the highlight of the weekend was a Portuguese table wine from Ribatejo Serradayres Colheita 1947. Image

I have no idea what grape(s) are in it, but it was quite potent stuff. The core was black, the rim had some orange in it. The nose is tarry, dark toned in its fruit, leathery, earthy - it all so savoury and unique as I hope to find. The palate was very concentrated and powerful with lovely, high acidity and still a fair amount of tannins. It is very dark toned and even a bit mineral. Though not a fruit forward wine, the fruit is in no danger of dying soon. I love Portugal for this sort of surprises; this really was a beautiful wine if you like a rustic style. At a price of 25€ I would back up the truck - except yet again only one bottle was available.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Lizbeth S

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Re: WTN: A great 1947 and other fun wines

by Lizbeth S » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:02 pm

Great notes, Otto! :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:16 am

Fabulous Otto!

By the way, Ratzenberger is one of the most reliable Sekt producers I have come across.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:22 pm

Thank you Lizbeth and David! Ratzenberger happens to make the only Sekt that I have so far tasted which I love. Others have been fine, but none other have been emotional experiences. In case anyone is interested this 1947 and all the other old Portuguese oddities that I've been posting on in the last year or so have been from a wonderful shop called Garrafeira Nacional - who, gladly, ship wines to Finland also.

If you'll permit a wee bloody pulpit à la Mr. Hill: There seems to much talk (up here in the North anyhow) about a Portuguese renaissance. We've got some names like Niepoort and Q. Vale D. Maria who are making excellent stuff which commands high prices. But having tasted a handful of Portuguese table wines from 1930's to mid 1990's I do wonder if this renaissance is all that successful. Sure the wines have become less rustic, less tannic, less ferociously acidic (all which can be seen as flaws, but which I happen to like), but they have at the same time lost their uniqueness. I hate to say it about wines like Niepoort's and Vale D. Maria's which I honestly did find nice, but they just don't have a personality like these oldies did. And frankly, I am not sure they will ever develop into such wild beauties either, which is a shame. I for one would rather drink a rustic and unique wine with a garrulous but lovable personality rather than a sleek and polished "modern" wine.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.