The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wineries to visit in Sonoma?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Aamer Sachedina

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:20 pm

Ontario, Canada

Wineries to visit in Sonoma?

by Aamer Sachedina » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:22 am

Hi folks:

A friend of mine and myself are going to be in San Francisco for a business trip next week so we've decided to go up early and spend the weekend there.

We'd like to spend one day driving up to Sonoma and visiting a few wineries.

Can any of you who are familiar with the area suggest some wineries we might want to visit? Our preference would be smaller wineries rather huge producers that produce decent wines and are not over the top expensive. We are both into Syrah in particular and Zins.

Any suggestions will be welcome?

-Aamer
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: Wineries to visit in Sonoma?

by Keith M » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:51 am

Aamer,

If you will be around the Healdsburg part of Sonoma County, I would make the following suggestions for Zinfandel producers. I don't know the number of cases they produce or anything, but I they felt like smaller producers when I visited them in the past few years.

In Dry Creek Valley: Dutcher Crossing, Bella Vineyards, and Preston of Dry Creek. Bella was a particularly good option as they had quite a few zinfandels to try--but I think Preston was my favorite. Alas, California prices abound, I'd say these are in the high $20s.

In Russian River Valley: Harvest Moon and Inspiration Vineyards. Inspiration is particularly worth a visit if you are into small producers--you'll have to make an appointment with the winemaker either on his lunch break or after his day job is over, wonderful experience with lovely people.

Also there is a good tasting room called Locals up in Geyserville above Healdsburg. Good chance to do a flight of zinfandels from producers who have smaller production and hence don't operate their own independent tasting rooms.

Sorry, can't be of much help on the Syrah front--didn't run into much in that part of Sonoma . . .
Last edited by Keith M on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:08 am

I'm more familiar with Napa, and I'm not sure what you mean by "Sonoma" (it's a gigantic county). but there are definitely some good ones (imo) you might check out. I tend to like the out-of-the-way places, so...

Verite: Call ahead. This is a lovely winery hidden away in Alexander Valley near Healdsburg. French wine maker (Pierre Seillan). Absolutely lovely (but painfully expensive) "Old World" style blended wines, imo-and a nice place with a sit down and "tutored tasting" environment.

Another Kendall Jackson property that impressed me was Matanzas Creek, located north of Sonoma proper in "Glen Ellen." They specialize in somewhat austere Merlots, (but offer the full range of wines). The winery is in a lovely hidden setting and features a beautiful Arts-and-Crafts tasting room in a lavendar farm setting. Quite pretty.

I also like Benziger and Imagery near Glen Ellen (owned by the same family). A bit more touristy in an earnest way (biodynamics), but their mountainside and valley settings and solid, reasonable wines include some gems. Imagery commissions modern artists to design its labels, and there is a wall of "old" bottles that is kind of interesting.

Closer to Sonoma, you should check out Buena Vista, which has historic caves and very old vineyards, although I can't speak to their wines. I also found Bartholemew Park east of Sonoma proper to be a nice place-you can see some of the ancient (100+ year old) vines planted by the Count in the 19th century. I also really enjoyed Schug, which is hidden away in a "farmhouse" setting south of onoma proper. Crisp, enjoyable whites and a more austere, less ripe style of Bordeaux varietals.

(Off topic warning-we had a fuel truck blow up yesterday morning, so I would AVOID AT ALL COSTS trying to drive between San Francisco and the east bay suburbs. Frankly, traffic will be a nightmare for weeks and weeks)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:59 am

Sonoma is a wide area. It can be as east as the the Sonoma Valley and as north as Alexander Valley and as west as the coast. In any case , you are not without good watering holes. Heck, I think I like all of them. Without picking out one particular area, I like (and I will think of more soon) - Preston (Rhone reds and whites), Foppiano (Petite Sirah), Belvedere (Zin), Taft Street (Pinot Noir), Geyser Peak (Cabernet and Merlot). I also like Simi (but haven't had any from them since they were bought by Ravenswood)
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:03 pm

Joseph Swan has very nice Zins and Syrahs (and Pinots and other wines)...

Moshin is worth a stop since it is not on a lot of people's radar, and it near Swan....and if you can swill some Pinot, the setting at Arista is awesome..... near Moshin and Swan
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David Sharp

Rank

Just got here

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:43 pm

Sonoma Wine Country

by David Sharp » Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm

One winery that has lovely Pinot Noir and also great Syrah and Zin is Siduri.

Their Pinots are bottled under the Siduri label, and they do the Syrah and Zin under the Novy label. Not cheap (PInots from $20+ to $50+ and Syrah/Zin from $20+ to $35+) but well worth it. They own no vineyards of their own, but source fruit from Santa Barbara to Oregon. Robin knows Adam and Diana Lee, the owners, and can testify to the quality of their wines.

They are located in a small light-industrial warehouse in Santa Rosa (so much for charming wine country locations :wink: ). They do tasting on the hour from 10 -3. Their phone number to make a reservation is 707-578-3882.
David in Sonoma Wine Country
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 01, 2007 10:41 pm

Sonoma County offers an embarrassment of riches for the wine taster on a one-day visit.

My advice is to buy one of the "wine country" maps of Sonoma County that you'll find all over the place in the SF Bay area. Pick out a road or two in Russian River, Healdsburg, or your favorite Sonoma sub-district that has a cluster of wineries, and just visit every place on that road. You'll hit some duds, some old favorites, and you'll find some hidden gems that you otherwise wouldn't have visited.

I second the recommendation of Matanzas Creek. I was a big fan of their merlot and chardonnay when they were still independent. Assuming the quality has been maintained, they are well worth a visit.

-Paul W.