The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1997 Steele Zin (DuPratt Vineyard)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 1997 Steele Zin (DuPratt Vineyard)

by Jason Hagen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:33 pm

1997 Steele Zinfandel DuPratt Vineyard (Mendocino) 13%
I really loved the Steele Zins through the 90s. I don’t really see much Steele around anymore and the DuPratt vineyard sold and seems to have gone off the map. Anyway, how was this 10 year old? Color was holding up well. The nose is showing restrained sweet leather and a small amount of dark fruits. There is bright clean fruit on the palate with med/high acids. The flavors are Cab/Bordeaux like but no hard tannins. Works well with food. Lots of complexity with a somewhat short finish. Very nice of a 10 year old Zin. 89 pts.

Jason
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 1997 Steele Zin (DuPratt Vineyard)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 pm

Thanks, Jason for the note! I have a Steele Pacini Vineyard (2004) in my cellar and I'm intrigued by this winery based on tasting notes and descriptions.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:18 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:1997 Steele Zinfandel DuPratt Vineyard (Mendocino) 13%
I really loved the Steele Zins through the 90s. I don’t really see much Steele around anymore and the DuPratt vineyard sold and seems to have gone off the map. Anyway, how was this 10 year old? Color was holding up well. The nose is showing restrained sweet leather and a small amount of dark fruits. There is bright clean fruit on the palate with med/high acids. The flavors are Cab/Bordeaux like but no hard tannins. Works well with food. Lots of complexity with a somewhat short finish. Very nice of a 10 year old Zin. 89 pts.

Jason

I remember those Zins very favorably, not over the top, balanced, no 15+ alcohol. How things have changed.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue May 01, 2007 1:33 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:I remember those Zins very favorably, not over the top, balanced, no 15+ alcohol. How things have changed.

Yep. I used to brag about how I liked aged Zins but that all changed when most started producing massive 16+% Zins. I sometimes enjoy those but you have to drink them very early or they just become big messes.

Jason