The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moving a wine cellar accross the US

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian R

Rank

Just got here

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:48 pm

Moving a wine cellar accross the US

by Brian R » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:27 pm

Hello All,

I live in Virginia and have been collecting wine for the past six years or so (~250 btls). I have recently taken a new job in California and we will need to move all these bottles. So, my question: How does one move 250 bottles of wine across the US without a substantial dent in my wallet?

I have done a bit of searching on this (and how I came across this forum), but there is relatively little out there on how to go about doing this. So anyone with experience doing this, I'd love to hear your tails (good or bad).

Or maybe it is time to charge $100 at the door and throw a weekend block party ;)

later,
-B
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Moving a wine cellar accross the US

by Mark Lipton » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:48 pm

Brian R wrote:Hello All,

I live in Virginia and have been collecting wine for the past six years or so (~250 btls). I have recently taken a new job in California and we will need to move all these bottles. So, my question: How does one move 250 bottles of wine across the US without a substantial dent in my wallet?

Brian,
Many moons ago, I did the opposite move (from CA to IN). What I did was contract with a shipping co. named Pilot Air Frieght to pick up my wine, prepackaged in styrofoam shippers. They shipped it by air and delivered it to my home in a temperature-controlled truck. I found them by inquiring with a local retailer about how they shipped wine to where I was going. I'd suggest that you try the same approach if you can.

Mark Lipton