The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Favorite Dry White

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

What is your favorite dry white wine?

Riesling
31%
Gruener Veltiner
8%
Sauvignon
20%
Chardonnay
4%
Muscat
No votes
Muscadet (Melon de Bourgogne)
8%
Pinot Blanc (Bianco, etc.)
No votes
Pinot Gris (Grigio, Rulander, Grauburgunder)
4%
Silvaner (IT'S MY POLL!)
No votes
Other
24%

Total votes : 49
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Favorite Dry White

by Bill Hooper » Tue May 01, 2007 12:45 am

Ahhh...Spring is upon the northern hemisphere. This is the time when many wine drinkers put down the heavier reds of Southern Europe and the New World for the crisp, clean refreshment of the Worlds finer white wines (to say nothing of Rose). What is your favorite dry white wine to beat the heat?
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

Re: Favorite Dry White

by Steve Slatcher » Tue May 01, 2007 5:07 am

So what are the "other" wines people are voting for? White Bx blend?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue May 01, 2007 5:24 am

steve.slatcher wrote:So what are the "other" wines people are voting for?

Chenin blanc.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 01, 2007 5:52 am

Actually, most of the Riesling I like isn't really "dry", even though it says so on the label. Where's Thomas - haven't heard from him in a while. And Gewurtz isn't on the list. However, my favorite dry white is the one that pairs up best with what I'm eating. I like Chardonnay with chicken scallopine. I like Vouvray (Chenin) with lobster. I like Riesling with fish.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Tue May 01, 2007 6:30 am

Does Champagne count for "other?"
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 01, 2007 7:00 am

I need four votes!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue May 01, 2007 7:19 am

Incidentally, I interpreted "favourite" as "the one I would miss most were it to disappear". That resulted in a very clear choice - Riesling. Yes, I can quite understand Chenin Blanc being someone's favourite, but I am still puzzled by all the votes that "other" is getting. I seem to be missing out on something :shock:
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Tue May 01, 2007 9:02 am

So far, Pinot Grigio. Though I am actively expanding my base.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue May 01, 2007 10:53 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I need four votes!

I'm with David on this one. I don't coun't champagne because so much of it is made with red grapes.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue May 01, 2007 11:14 am

Bill, I voted Grüner Veltliner only because it's my favourite of the white viniferas, although Sauvignon isn't far behind. What I love about these whites in particular, and why I didn't consider Riesling in my reply, is that the former two are almost always reliably dry. Riesling seems to always get a few degrees of r.s. chucked in when you least expect it, and the nomenclature is a bit tricky as a result. 'Tis not to say that Halbtrocken Riesling can't be fantastic, as it sure can - but my preference is for laser-sharp, crystalline dryness and definition.

Other favourites of mine are dry Vidal (Ontario sees a few of these and they are always great, often throwing large tartrate deposits when placed in the fridge for a day or two), dry Niagara and dry Muscat.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Tue May 01, 2007 11:59 am

Probably should have voted Riesling, but picked other for all the wonderful Italian whites widely available at great prices. If forced to pick one I'll go with Ribolla Gialla.
no avatar
User

Nick Stevens

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:27 pm

by Nick Stevens » Tue May 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Sauvignon Blanc, hands down, not only because I love the nose and taste of grass and herbs, but also because it seems to be such a different drink depending on from its origin. I also like it for the same reason that I don't care for so many chardonnay's; it seems a light, refreshing counterpart to some of the heavier, more tannic reds that I tend to drink later in a meal or later in the day.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue May 01, 2007 12:44 pm

SB for the same reason Nick suggested (I love the herbacious grassiness, especially the bold ones from NZ), although I'm really starting to appreciate the versatility of Chenin Blanc, and more rieslings are starting to make their way into my repertoire.

Slightly off topic - the most interesting white I've ever tried was a 2004 Schoffit alsatian chasselas. I found more scents and tastes in that bottle than I think I've ever experienced in a white (perfume, violets, rose, basil, lavender, thyme, capsicum, petrol). I recently purchased another bottle to try at a later date and am looking foward to seeing if I have a similar experience the second time around.
Last edited by Kyrstyn Kralovec on Tue May 01, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue May 01, 2007 1:09 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I need four votes!

Me too! Pinot Gris is tops this time around followed by SB, Viognier and the white blends from S France. But then again, what are all those German rieslings doing in my cellar!!!
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue May 01, 2007 1:12 pm

Historically, we buy Sauvignon Blanc year round. Summer has been seeing us just buy more. But we've also consumed rose' and champagne in the summertime.

This year, though...I've chanced on a nice 2006 Vinho Verde (Gazela) that both of us really like. It can be served ice cold...in fact, the colder it is , the better I like it. Its inexpensive, low alcohol (9%), lightly sparkling, bone dry and very refreshing on a hot day. I've purchased 2 cases so far.

Richard
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Tue May 01, 2007 1:26 pm

There's no button for ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Looking over the list, I realize that I'd really miss every one of the varietals on the list (well, OK, except for maybe the Sylvaner!) I have definite preferences on reds, but for whites, I realize I'm totally omnivorous. I voted for Chardonnay, because one of my greatest 'wine moments' was the first time I tasted a grand cru Burgundy, and because no one had voted for Chardonnay yet.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 01, 2007 3:13 pm

I consistently enjoy Sauvignon Blanc (Farella-Park, Eliabeth Spencer, Mason Cellars). I have only one bottle of French Sancerre in my cellar-and I need to try it. It's my birthday tomorrow, and I want SUSHI, so Sancerre might be nice! :lol:

Despite the heat of the vintage (15%), I was really impressed by the 2003 Chateau Boswell Chardonnay on Saturday. Pricey and alcoholic, but absolutely beautiful and refreshing in every other way. If more chardonnays were like that one, my favorite might change.

Finally, the bone dry minerality of Tocai Friulano was pretty enjoyable.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue May 01, 2007 4:18 pm

I voted Sauvignon because although I prefer Rieslings, I usually like the Spatlese or Auslese or Eiswein best--not the dryest examples. And S.B. more easily pleases me than Chardonnay. Now if I were comparing some of the best white Burgundy I've ever tasted to S.B., Chardonnay would be the winner. But those top white Burgundies don't grace my table very often while S.B. does--particularly in warm weather. Just finished a nice Roland Tissier et Fils Sancerre last weekend.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue May 01, 2007 4:29 pm

If I had to vote on the ones listed it would be Chardonnay but only from Chablis and unoaked parts of Burgundy. My real vote goes with Rahsaan and Chenin Blanc.

Walt
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed May 02, 2007 10:56 pm

If you are talking in general, then my favorites are the whites (blend) produced by R Lopez de Heredia. I could never get bored of them.

If you are talking about warm weather specifically, I drink a lot of Vinho Verde come Summer.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Thu May 03, 2007 10:48 am

JoePerry wrote:If you are talking in general, then my favorites are the whites (blend) produced by R Lopez de Heredia. I could never get bored of them.

Oh, yeah! Those are some of the most fascinating whites out there, and pretty reasonably priced too.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu May 03, 2007 2:24 pm

I think you forgot one.

Burgundy

I would never vote "Chardonnay" but my answer is white Burgundy.

Tom T.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Thu May 03, 2007 2:29 pm

Southern French Blends- Rousanne/Marsanne
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu May 03, 2007 2:30 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:I think you forgot one.

Burgundy

I would never vote "Chardonnay" but my answer is white Burgundy.

Tom T.

I agree, Chardonnay is only a wine in few countries. I do not drink chardonnay but frequently enjoy wines made from Chardonnay, Chablis, some white Burgs and Blanc du Blanc. The question shouild inquire about favorite grape, not wine. You would then have a bigger problem.
Walt
Next