The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Favorite Dry White

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

What is your favorite dry white wine?

Riesling
31%
Gruener Veltiner
8%
Sauvignon
20%
Chardonnay
4%
Muscat
No votes
Muscadet (Melon de Bourgogne)
8%
Pinot Blanc (Bianco, etc.)
No votes
Pinot Gris (Grigio, Rulander, Grauburgunder)
4%
Silvaner (IT'S MY POLL!)
No votes
Other
24%

Total votes : 49
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Favorite Dry White

by Hoke » Thu May 03, 2007 2:33 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Actually, most of the Riesling I like isn't really "dry", even though it says so on the label. Where's Thomas - haven't heard from him in a while. And Gewurtz isn't on the list. However, my favorite dry white is the one that pairs up best with what I'm eating. I like Chardonnay with chicken scallopine. I like Vouvray (Chenin) with lobster. I like Riesling with fish.

Had to vote "Other"----since I can't possible pick one favorite, butterfly of wine that I am. :D

As to Thomas, Howie: I beleive he officially (albeit fairly quietly) announced some while ago that he was, as they say, 'taking a hiatus' from wine boards. I got the idea from the way he said it, that as a pro writer he got to the point where the time he spent on wine boards consituted some sort of Onanistic frittering of his precious resources (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). Anyway, he made it fairly clear he wouldn't be seen in the ethernet for the foreseeable future.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu May 03, 2007 3:13 pm

Hoke wrote:
Howie Hart wrote:Actually, most of the Riesling I like isn't really "dry", even though it says so on the label. Where's Thomas - haven't heard from him in a while. And Gewurtz isn't on the list. However, my favorite dry white is the one that pairs up best with what I'm eating. I like Chardonnay with chicken scallopine. I like Vouvray (Chenin) with lobster. I like Riesling with fish.

Had to vote "Other"----since I can't possible pick one favorite, butterfly of wine that I am. :D

As to Thomas, Howie: I beleive he officially (albeit fairly quietly) announced some while ago that he was, as they say, 'taking a hiatus' from wine boards. I got the idea from the way he said it, that as a pro writer he got to the point where the time he spent on wine boards consituted some sort of Onanistic frittering of his precious resources (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). Anyway, he made it fairly clear he wouldn't be seen in the ethernet for the foreseeable future.

About thomas, the general conclusion and idea are correct. I suspect he might be lured out of lurkedom at some point in the future.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu May 03, 2007 10:35 pm

I voted riesling although like others have noted most of the riesling I drink is kabinett and it usually has some detectable residual sugar in it. I like it during the summer because it is low in alcohol and has refreshing acidity. Plus it matches so many types of food so well.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Sat May 05, 2007 10:38 pm

Trimbach Clos St Hune. End of argument.