The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 05 Vissoux, 05 Breton, 04 Montevertine, Okanagan Foch, NZ Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: 05 Vissoux, 05 Breton, 04 Montevertine, Okanagan Foch, NZ Riesling

by Marc D » Tue May 01, 2007 1:47 am

2005 Domaine du Vissoux / Pierre-Marie Chermette Beaujolais Vieilles Vignes Cuvee Traditionnelle - France, Beaujolais

Black cherry fruit that has a doughy edge with excellent balance. Languid and quite gulpable. Not as minerally, complex or tannic as the 05 Brun L'Ancienne tried this week, but nice for current drinking.

On the second day this is better, the flavors are more finely etched, and a little more structure shows up. Very nice, better in 6 months to a year?

2005 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Franc de Pied - France, Loire Valley

Bruce and I were discussing this in another thread, so I thought I would post my note. This is made from vines that are ungrafted and grown in sandy limestone soil. I think I read Dressner commenting that the grapes from these ungrafted vines fully ripen with about a degree less of alcohol. Anyway, the wine is very tasty.

Very earthy, blackberry leaf bramble with some blackberry and dark raspberry fruit in the background. With air more dirt and tobacco smells. Juicy and lively in the mouth with rustic tannins. I really liked this and think it would age well (lots of tannin, stuffing and acidity), but the plastic cork worries me. It was still good and did not oxidize too much overnight, but I liked it best the first night after 90 minutes of opening.

2004 Azienda Agricola Montevertine Pian del Ciampolo Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany

I miss the pretty aromatics of the 2002 version. This seemed monochromatic with bigger tannins compared to the very fragrant but slim 2002. There is some spiky acidity that smooths out with air. Plummy and maybe some dried cherry and an odd roasted note.

2001 Quails' Gate Estate Winery Foch Proprietors' Reserve - Canada, Okanagan Valley

Lots of oaky lactones and vanilla. Gamey notes and sour cherry that is overwhelmed by the wood at this point. Good acidity, little tannin. The winery suggested drinking this 2-3 years from the vintage and they were probably right. 14%abv. I wonder if there is an Marechal Foch from Quails gate that doesn't get the same new barrel treatment?

2003 Melness Riesling Estate - New Zealand, Waipara

Interesting nose with some complexity. Light tropical notes, pine needle and a little petrol in the nose. In the mouth crisp granny smith apples with lime and a little spice. Brisk acids balance the RS. Very good and nice value. 9% abv.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 05 Vissoux, 05 Breton, 04 Montevertine, Okanagan Foch, NZ Riesling

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue May 01, 2007 6:36 am

2005 Domaine du Vissoux / Pierre-Marie Chermette Beaujolais Vieilles Vignes Cuvee Traditionnelle
Thanks for adding the Day 2 addendum, Marc. I was leaning towards opening one when I read your initial Cellartracker posting but it looks like I should hold off until the late fall.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 01, 2007 6:56 am

Melness is the closest thing to a German-style Riesling I have tasted from NZ.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Tue May 01, 2007 9:06 am

Thanks for the great notes, Marc, as always, and for your more detailed review of the Franc de Pied. I also happen to have some of that Vissoux Traditionnelle and it's very helpful to have your data point. Out of curiosity, does that have a real or fake cork?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue May 01, 2007 9:19 am

Thanks for the notes. I really liked the Vissoux, and look forward to popping a Breton FdP soon. I liked the Montevertine better than you- I agree it's bigger than the '02, but I liked. Someone else (Jay Miller?) felt as you did. I liked enough that I think I'll add a couple to my next order.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue May 01, 2007 10:42 am

Bill - If you have more than 1-2 bottles of the Vissoux I wouldn't hesitate to drink one now, lots of pleasure there. I think most of the good 05 Beaujolais I've tried will just be better in a year or so, but this one is accessible now. If you have a stock of 2004s or older, maybe drink them first.

David - I thought so too, maybe without the slate minerals. I'm rarely disappointed by anything 'selected by Russell Briggs', and this was no exception. I forgot to mention the Melness has a screw cap closure.

Bruce - There is a regular cork in the Vissoux. Thanks for the kind words.

Dale - Most people thought the 2002 Pian del Ciampolo was dilute, but I really liked the complex aromas combined with the delicate body. I think the winemaker at Montevertine did the most he could with the 2002 vintage. I never tried the 2003, and was looking forward to this one. Maybe my expectations were too high.

I did buy a few more of the 04's and maybe will wait a bit to drink as there is plenty of tannin in the 2004. I hope it will develop more in the bottle. I will watch for your notes if you open another one.

Thanks,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue May 01, 2007 10:47 am

Marc, thanks for the Foch note.

In my opinion, Foch does better by being put in slightly older oak for a longer time, or if it's new oak, then for a shorter length of time. I think that the former would be a more complex wine while the latter would be a bit brashier, but perfumey. Different wines, different purposes.

Last time I had the Quails' Gate OVF I thought it was alright, but came away preferring our Ontarian varieties. Nowadays, I put D'Angelo's as Ontario's best, most stylish Foch. Malivoire has gotten worse in recent years but the price has kept climbing.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue May 01, 2007 11:13 am

I would love to try an Ontario Marechal Foch sometime. I will keep an eye out for the D' Angelo's. I wonder if the British Columbia stores would have this one in stock?

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue May 01, 2007 11:18 am

Not sure, Marc, but I do know that D'Angelo's does have a winery out in B.C., though they don't make a Foch in B.C. strictly speaking. Here is the winery contact info, so you can ask. You can say that I recommended their Foch as Ontario's best (I visit the Ontario winery every now and then):

D'Angelo Estate Winery
5141 5th Concession
Amherstburg North
Ontario
N9V 2Y8

Phone (519) 736 7959
Fax (519) 736 1912
E-mail: info@dangelowinery.com

D'Angelo Estate Winery
Vineyard View Bed and Breakfast
947 Lochore Road
Penticton