The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

And another tipping question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sarge

Rank

Just got here

Tue May 01, 2007 5:32 pm

And another tipping question

by Sarge » Tue May 01, 2007 6:34 pm

If you pay $75.00 or more for a bottle of wine in a restaurant, do you consider maxing out the tip?

It's the same service as the $30.00 bottle. So if the food is $125.00, and the wine is $75.00, and $12.00 for tax, how much tip in a city like Chicago?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: And another tipping question

by Randy Buckner » Tue May 01, 2007 8:22 pm

Assuming the service was adequate, a tipping site recommends tipping 15-20% on the food and 15% on the wine. You do the math.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed May 02, 2007 8:09 am

John Cullum wrote: So if the food is $125.00, and the wine is $75.00, and $12.00 for tax, how much tip in a city like Chicago?

I would tip $45 on that particular check, assuming the server wasn't rude or incompetent.

I just go 20% of the check and then round. And yes, I tip on the full value of whatever bottle I order and yes, I tip on the tax.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed May 02, 2007 8:30 am

John Tomasso wrote:I just go 20% of the check and then round. And yes, I tip on the full value of whatever bottle I order and yes, I tip on the tax.

I agree. For me, it's a simple matter of not nickel-and-diming the folks who worked at sub-minimum wage to serve me. As I've said in other variations on this ongoing debate, I may not like the system, but I'm not going to change it by being rough on the bloke at the bottom of the food chain.
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Wed May 02, 2007 8:56 am

Tip is no different on the food or the wine for me... check is the check.

If I'm paying cash I probably throw them an even $250 [$38 tip or 18%] assuming the service was decent.

With a credit card it's more precise, anywhere from 10-20% depending on service.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue May 08, 2007 9:35 pm

How does everyone handle the tip in a BYOB situation when there is no corkage fee? I usually tip a straight $20/bottle. Reasonable?
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Wed May 09, 2007 9:47 am

Sam Platt wrote:How does everyone handle the tip in a BYOB situation when there is no corkage fee? I usually tip a straight $20/bottle. Reasonable?

I would say it depends on the restaurant.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed May 09, 2007 4:13 pm

Sam Platt wrote:How does everyone handle the tip in a BYOB situation when there is no corkage fee? I usually tip a straight $20/bottle. Reasonable?

Sam,
That's about what I do for BYOB when the corkage is waived. I just add $20-25 to the normal tip for the food. There is a small family run place in Lebanon, IN that never charges me corkage. In addition to the $20 tip, once or twice/year I'll wrap up a decent bottle that is not available locally from my cellar for the owners to enjoy.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed May 09, 2007 6:19 pm

Bill,

Fletcher's in Atlanta, IN. claims a $5.00 corkage fee, but they never have charged me so far. I just tack on an extra twenty to the tab. The Library in Carmel didn't charge a corkage fee, but last time I went there they had dropped the corkage service.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins