The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: NV Spumante of Erbaluce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: NV Spumante of Erbaluce

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue May 01, 2007 11:50 pm

Another interesting offering from Bonny Doon's DEWN club. This one's a Spumante. But it ain't your father's Spumante. It's.....well, I'll defer to Mr. Grahm on this one:

For those of you still nursing wounds from juvenile exploits with Asti Spumante, Riunite, or Crackling Chablis, do not allow the denomination "Spumante"to induce paroxysms of nausea and/or shame. This is an extremely serious methode champenoise sparkling wine benefiting from a longer period on the lees of the second fermentation than most Champagne.

Made by the Orsolani family, who've been producing this type of stuff since '72. This one gets four years on the 2° fermentation lees, for what that's worth. 13% alcohol, 100% Erbaluce.

This is definitely a serious sparkling wine. Deep yellow color, fine bead, biscuity nose. Very complex and intense flavors, with some floral notes, plenty of toast, some leesy yeastiness, nuttiness, medium body, a rather startling sourness in the mid-palate, pretty long finish. I don't drink a lot of high-end sparkling wine, so I have little to offer in the way of comparison. But this was one that made me sit up and take notice. This one's still available on the website and I may pick up some more for the $24 that they're asking.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child