The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How much is a serving of wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

How much is a serving of wine

by Howard » Wed May 02, 2007 10:14 am

Article from WSJ suggests that the 2glasses of day for a man mantra is only about 10oz total. That's lots less than the 1/2 bottle many drink a day. For me, I think the key is over what period of time is the alcohol consumed but I'm curious what others think.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117797544301787472.html?mod=most_viewed_day

Food (drink) for thought, that's all.

EDITED: I've been working too hard and not drinking enough wine I think. 10 ounces IS about 1/2 bottle.

Nevermind.

:oops:
Last edited by Howard on Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: How much is a serving of wine

by Dale Williams » Wed May 02, 2007 10:22 am

I wouldn't say 12.x is lots less than 10. Betsy and I typically probably finish 3/4 of a bottle. She probably has 4-5 oz, and me 10-15. I'm 6'2" and 225, so I'd guess that my consumption isn't drastically over recommended once you account for body size.

Actually, the funny thing about that article is that I'm so used to offlines and tastings that I probably typically pour 2 oz at a time. I refill my glass 3-6 times over a couple hours.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed May 02, 2007 10:28 am

I generally think of a standard pour as 5 ounces, so they are in the ballpark with my practice.
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Wed May 02, 2007 11:28 am

The "standard" is 5 oz. By standard I'm referring to the approx. amount of wine which contains the same amount of alcohol as a beer or a shot of hard liquor.

Pours at a bar when you order by the glass can sometimes be twice as large, depending on the bar, the glasses used, and the generosity of the bartender.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 02, 2007 1:25 pm

Of course, if one is drinking California Cult Cabs (Staglin had 15% abv) or Monster Zins (Ballantyne's had 16.7% abv according to the label) :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach