The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Patty Patty puddin' pie, kiss the boys and make 'em cry

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Patty Patty puddin' pie, kiss the boys and make 'em cry

by Jenise » Wed May 02, 2007 11:06 am

Subtitle: Patricia Green, Cristom and Dr. Loosen

A couple years ago I posted a TN on the 2001 Patricia Green "Four Winds", an Oregon pinot I found quite vile: fruitless and empty. There was no potential there whatsoever. Marc Davis might have been the one to respond that he and others had had a similar experience, and we lamented that such a wine would even be released. It was that bad, and no wonder my four bottles turned up at auction. They'd been DUMPED. Resentful, I haven't bought (or opened) any Patty Greens since. So the other night we needed a pinot to go with pan sauteed pork chops with a chive and mushroom cream sauce, and I pulled one of these (plus a 99 Domaine Serene for a surely-we'd-need-it back up) as I'm running out of cellar space, and sure-fire losers like the Patty Green have to go. Well, wasn't I surprised to find a viable wine here. It had a pretty raspberry nose with a spicy green note that reminded me of a bowl of nettle soup and which is a lot like the tomato leaf and dried thyme character of a cool-vintage Santa Barbara pinot. Pretty decent, especially good as a food wine, but not long for this world judging by the gentle fruit fade during the second glass.

Anyone have an 01 Patty Green Eason lately? The Oregon retailer I bought it from told me to hang onto it for a long time, so I'm thinking that's 09 or beyond, but I would be wrong if Eason's a relatively young vineyard.

An addendum to my note on the 2004 Cristom Syrah I was praising a few weeks ago after a taste at a Portland restaurant: opened one last night for guests, and to go with a Robuchon bacon and potato gratin. Wow! It was everything I remembered it to be. Stunning black cherry fruit with tons of black pepper. What's more, one of my guests, who is unaware of my own ambivalence to domestic syrah, said, "I'm not a syrah fan, but this is wonderful. Probably the best syrah I've ever had."

And finally a TN a German reisling so I can throw the empty bottle in the recycle bin: 1995 Dr. Loosen Urziger Wurzgarten MSR Spatlese. We chose this to accompany a dandy east-west entree of charcrute that had slices of sweet Chinese sausage and pods of star anise baked amid the sauerkraut, chicken-apple sausages and whole pork loin, and it was nectar: lemon, tangerine, tamarind and honeysuckle. Fairly rich, but the dish needed that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Patty Patty puddin' pie, kiss the boys and make 'em cry

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 02, 2007 11:43 am

'95 - the botrytis vintage. That will give you a much more honeyed/tropical Riesling. They are also somewhat broad-shouldered wines. Sounds yummy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 02, 2007 11:58 am

Oops, David, I mistyped. The Loosen was a 96, not a 95.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed May 02, 2007 12:00 pm

Jenise, I actually liked the '01 PG 4Winds at release (based on notes on old WLDG). Maybe you had in between, in a closed period (though a quick one!).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 02, 2007 12:07 pm

Jenise wrote:Oops, David, I mistyped. The Loosen was a 96, not a 95.

Well now this makes no sense. '96 is a very high acid vintage, and most wines are still showing rather unbalanced (in fact I question the overall ability of the vintage to ever come into real harmony across the board).

Hmm. Unusual.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Wed May 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Jenise, sorry I can't remember the 2001 P Green Four Winds. On the subject of Patricia Green wines, I was talking with the WA distributor about them a few weeks ago. They remarked that the PG wines were bottled and released to retail several months earlier than most of the other Oregon Pinot Noir. The distributor thought the wines really need a few months more in the bottle to settle down when they are first released. I don't know if the 01 you tried was right after release or if that had anything to do with it.

Good news on the Cristom syrah. Did your 6 pack from the winery arrive?

BTW, I like your title for the thread.

Marc
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 02, 2007 1:16 pm

Marc, that wasn't you? HMMMM! I'm going to have to go search out the notes now. Re my 01s, no, not immediately after release. I bought them at auction in 2005.

David, can't explain it! But this 1996 (botttle's right in front of me) showed beautifully.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 02, 2007 1:48 pm

Marc, couldn't find the reference on the old board. Must have been part of an ensuing conversation vs. being a formal tasting note, hence whatever was said scrolled away.

Yes, that's where the Cristom's from. I promised you a bottle, and will deliver one soon. Should have thought of it yesterday as I was down there for jury duty.
no avatar
User

Ernie in Berkeley

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:58 pm

by Ernie in Berkeley » Wed May 02, 2007 2:35 pm

I also found the '01 Four Winds to be troublesome (and I think I
posted in the previous topic--it smelled like sewage). But an '02 that I opened last week was delightful, and the '03 I tried recently was also ok but needs some time. There was no '04 (crop failure of some kind), and the '05s are just being distributed now.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 02, 2007 2:51 pm

Sewage! That rings a bell and squares with my word "vile". It must have been you, Ernie. It's actually quite a nice wine now. Nothing amazing in and of itself, but it's an amazing recovery. Didn't have the 02, but Patty's 02 Quail Hill has been my favorite PG so far. Do you buy them every year?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed May 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Jenise, thanks for the note on the Syrah. I've decided I don't care enough for Cristom Pinot Noirs to pay the cost but would like to try the Syrah. May see about ordering from the winery.