The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Various Sonoma Wines (DCAOC)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Various Sonoma Wines (DCAOC)

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu May 03, 2007 4:44 pm

Our monthly wine club met on Wednesday night, and this month’s theme was different wines from Sonoma. Notes follow:

2005 Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc: Medium-pale yellow/gold appearance. Scents of thyme, lemongrass, and melon. You could tell this was going to be really crisp before even tasting it, and it was. Nice acidity, some mineral notes. Green apples and honeydew melon. Tasted rather strongly of alcohol, and the 13.5% on the label verified it.
Half the people in attendance liked this quite well, the other half didn’t seem so impressed. I thought it would be just fine for sipping or with a meal, although it wasn’t as pungent as I normally like.

2005 X Carneros Chardonnay: Although not technically a Sonoma wine, I’m glad someone brought it because I learned something new about the appellation of Carneros, which lies between Sonoma and Napa and is supposedly the first wine region in CA based on climate rather than political boundaries. 61% of this juice is from Sangiacomo Vineyard (Sonoma Carneros) and 39% from the Truchard Vineyard (Napa Carneros). Regardless of appellation, it was what you would expect from a California chard: Lots of oak, burnt popcorn, vanilla, and butter. The palate was surprisingly a little peppery, and this boasted a whopping 14.2% alcohol…not for the faint-hearted!

2004 Ravenswood Vintners Blend Merlot: Garnet w/ a very slightly orange rim, this wasn’t as deeply colored as I would have expected. Black fruit (berries and plums) jumped out immediately, along with some smokiness. Well balanced tannins and acidity, although the sweetness from the vanilla flavors overwhelmed any fruit. I enjoyed this wine for it’s balance of tannins and acidity, although I could understand why some said they didn’t find it very complex. Went fabulously with the Tomme Crayeuse (as did each of the other reds we tried that evening…I will have to pick up some more of that cheese because I think it stole the evening).

2003 Frei Brothers Reserve Syrah: Very deeply colored. Game and over-ripe plumbs on the nose. Relatively long finish that someone thought was similar to the after-taste of skim milk??? Several of us did notice some dairy after that suggestion was put out there. Some reported that the nose was too strong and left the palate lacking, someone else said they thought the exact opposite (stronger taste than smell). Great example of how subjective this stuff can be! I liked it, because I just plain like syrah, although it was a little too oaky.

2002 Rodney Strong Zinfandel: Deep brick color w/ a clear rim. Scents of vanilla, spicy baked fruit and sawdust. I was happy that someone noted this last descriptor – its’ one of those that I’ve read before but never identified myself, and just don’t have the sensory memory to call up on my own yet. The sawdust description made someone else realize it reminder her of shop class (although I guess in Delaware they call it “Tech Ed”). Someone else mentioned motor oil. The taste was peppery, the tannins substantial but smooth, and some red fruit, strawberries, showed up after a few minutes. Surprisingly low alcohol for a CA zin, it was only 13.8%.

2001 Kunde Estate Cabernet Sauvignon: Lots of woodsy, foresty scents along with baked fruit and fig. The forest notes continued on the palate with someone mentioning ferns. A couple of people noted asparagus. The tannins were a bit harsh and there was a bit of astringency. I think this might be good with a few more years.

2002 Chateau Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon: This bottle was brought as a back up by the cab fanatic in the group because there was some worry about the cork appearance of the syrah. We opened this after the “tasting” portion was over, and just a few of us tried it. The consensus was that this is probably going to be really nice given a few more years. It was pretty closed, but there were some really sweet tannins starting to show and after it had been open and in the glass for a while, I began to detect some really concentrated berry/wooded flavors. The guest that brought this was kind enough to let me take the unfinished bottle home, so I’ll be trying it tonight with some beef to see if there’s been any evolution and/or how the protein effects my perception of the tannins.

It was an enjoyable evening, and we were glad to have three new members join us. Next month we’re planning on a Spain/Portugal theme w/ tapas to accompany the wine.
Last edited by Kyrstyn Kralovec on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Various Sonoma Wines

by JC (NC) » Thu May 03, 2007 6:36 pm

Sounds fun. I like the idea of a tapas party. Watch out. I've been known to plan trips to DC around wine tastings.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu May 03, 2007 7:10 pm

Where do you get together K? When is JC coming back to DC so we can plan that DC offline Jon was talking about?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu May 03, 2007 10:19 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Sounds fun. I like the idea of a tapas party. Watch out. I've been known to plan trips to DC around wine tastings.

James Roscoe wrote:Where do you get together K? When is JC coming back to DC so we can plan that DC offline Jon was talking about?

The more the merrier! Our next gathering is going to be on June 8 (Friday). We congregate in the party room of the apartment building of one of our members (there are usually about 10-12 of us). It's in SE, a few blocks from where the new ballpark is going up. Navy Yard metro is just up the street. If anyone is interested (or thinks they may be in the future), PM me with your email address and I'll add you to the distro list. Do keep in mind, however, that we are all relative newbies to wine and these are not extremely structured tastings. We have a lot of fun, but it's more like a party where we take notes on what we're drinking that a real tasting.

As the new kid on the block around here, I'll defer to everyone else on the DC offline. As I said before, please keep me posted and let me know if I can help get things rolling.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri May 04, 2007 2:33 pm

I'll see about sending my e-mail next week by PM. I will have a very brief visit to DC end of June for wine tasting at French Embassy but don't have any definite dates beyond that.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri May 04, 2007 2:43 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I'll see about sending my e-mail next week by PM. I will have a very brief visit to DC end of June for wine tasting at French Embassy but don't have any definite dates beyond that.

JC, you're not talking about the "France vs the Rest of the World" event, are you? If so, I went to the one they had in back in March (I think it was March anyway) and it was a lot of fun. Can't recall who won, seems like it was a close call when all was said and done.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri May 04, 2007 3:38 pm

K Story wrote:
JC (NC) wrote:I'll see about sending my e-mail next week by PM. I will have a very brief visit to DC end of June for wine tasting at French Embassy but don't have any definite dates beyond that.

JC, you're not talking about the "France vs the Rest of the World" event, are you? If so, I went to the one they had in back in March (I think it was March anyway) and it was a lot of fun. Can't recall who won, seems like it was a close call when all was said and done.

I am thinking of doing the one called Bordeaux vs California. I think it's the last Saturday in June or the second to last .
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri May 04, 2007 3:58 pm

France VS the Rest of the World -Special Event-

Experience a unique tasting: 8 grapes, 8 French wines, 8 contenders from around the world, two wine speakers on the ring, 100 supporters on the French side, 100 for the rest of the world... (I'm sitting on the French side)

This is the one--Saturday June 30th.

I'm trying to get to DC by late afternoon the 29th to enjoy a dinner out but not sure I can get the Friday off work. (One vacancy and one retiring June 30th out of a small staff.)

French Wine Society is one of the sponsors and one can look it up on the Internet.