The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Blah Chablis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: WTN Blah Chablis

by JoePerry » Tue May 15, 2007 9:58 am

At least you admit when I'm wrong.

I admit nothing.
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

by Alan Uchrinscko » Tue May 15, 2007 10:54 am

JoePerry wrote:Alan, I think great wine needs no excuses.

You're right. But I couldn't disagree with you more greatly regarding your comments on young wine. Young wines don't necessarily "taste good", nor should they be required to. Wines are a living breathing thing and particularly when young go through vast changes from month to month, from week to week, sometimes from day or hour to hour. It's why tasting a young wine once and then giving it a rating may be the most useless way for a consumer to get advice.

If you tastes a young wine once it has fruit and little structure, once and it has tannin and no fruit, once with acidity and no fruit, it might not be a particularly pleasant experience on any of the occassions, but would be an outstaning choice for a wine to buy.

So essentially we go back to my original point. I'm not trying to make excuses for it, I just think that if you have no idea what to look for, there's no point in bashing a 2000 Vaillons from Raveneau, when it will taste absolutely nothing like it does now anyways.

Not too mention, as I have tried to explain thousands of times, Chablis is in its very initial stage fairly expressive and then later shuts completely down. It then opens back up a few years later. Many of the 2000's are currently in this stage. Not making excuses, don't have too. Since I have tasted the wine in the barrel and the bottle over the course of time, I alredy know what's there.
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue May 15, 2007 12:25 pm

Alan Uchrinscko wrote:
JoePerry wrote:Alan, I think great wine needs no excuses.

You're right. But I couldn't disagree with you more greatly regarding your comments on young wine. Young wines don't necessarily "taste good", nor should they be required to.

My comment? When did I ever say young wines should "taste good"?

I think I said something along the lines of young Barolo being bruising (equals not tasting good) but still discernibly great wine that is too young.

I was teasing Rahsaan a bit, but back to Dale's comment: For Dale's friends who don't like Barolo, I'd wager that they also don't like Barbaresco. I like Chardonnay. Why should a 2000 Raveneau seem like an under-performing wine when I sense excellence in Carillon Puligny Montrachet "Les Perrieres" or the Latour-Giraud Meursault-Genevrieres "Cuvee de Pierre" I had two weeks ago (which was woody, but still showed much promise).

Alan, please understand that I do think many Chablis are under-performing compared to others of the same class, but most of this is just sophomoric teasing that I do for the sake of making guys like Hoke and Lou squirm. I'm sure there are outstanding Chablis to be tasted for those with the patience and/or means. I just haven't encountered any from the cult of Raveneau, Dauvissat, Fevre, etc.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue May 15, 2007 5:00 pm

JoePerry wrote:At least you admit when I'm wrong.

I admit nothing.

Sergeant Shultz has returned!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
Previous