The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Blah Chablis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN Blah Chablis

by John Treder » Thu May 03, 2007 10:19 pm

La Chablisienne "Cuvee LC" 2003.

I think I bought it on price, or maybe just desperation. $13.99 at BevMo in 11/06. 12.5% alcohol.

If this is a sample of why the 2003 vintage is unmemorable, I can understand it. It's a bit ripe for Chablis, but not at all ripe in a CalChard sense. It has either seen just a little oak or it got a little bit cooked on the ship. Very light aroma, nothing to really talk about on the mid-palate, and a short finish. It does have a nice pale yellow color and a nice crisp mouthfeel.

I'm not terribly sensitive to TCA, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

I wouldn't even think it a bargain at $8.99.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN Blah Chablis

by Saina » Fri May 04, 2007 2:47 pm

Certainly sounds rathe '03-like to me. I think that LC's wines do see oak on the 1er and GC levels at least. I think it integrates pretty well. A fair co-op IMHO, but '03 is such a freakish year that I would pass by all white Burgs (and most reds too) - except DRC's Montrachet if someone else is paying.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Fri May 04, 2007 3:38 pm

I've long contended that all Chablis is "Blah".

I'm not shocked to see a following. :D
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri May 04, 2007 9:28 pm

I've long contended that all Chablis is "Blah".

I would fain disagree. A good Chablis can be like an epee -- sharp, steely, pointed.

This bottle failed the test. The damned sword broke.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat May 05, 2007 1:37 am

I agree. As a newbie to Chablis, the one I had last week was just like this. Damn, why didn't I write it down?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat May 05, 2007 11:21 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:I've long contended that all Chablis is "Blah".

I would fain disagree. A good Chablis can be like an epee -- sharp, steely, pointed.

Yes, and like a epee it is used for practice and has a blunt tip. :wink:

Puligny-Montrachet, Chassagne-Montrachet, Meursault and Macon would be the rapier, sabre, colichemarde and falchion.

The best still Chardonnay I've had this year was a Claymore in the form of 1994 Cuvée LD Sonoma Chardonnay.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat May 05, 2007 1:17 pm

I like Meursault, but I'm rarely willing to pay that much.

What's a colichemarde? Google tried to speak Italian to me, and it didn't work.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat May 05, 2007 7:02 pm

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat May 05, 2007 9:40 pm

Thank you! Very interesting, or it would be if I knew as much about swords as I used to do about mouse motors. :-)

And I do apologize for forgetting that an epee is supposed to have a little gizmo at the tip -- I suppose it should teach me not to blather outside my expertise, but it won't.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 05, 2007 9:53 pm

JoePerry wrote:
The best still Chardonnay I've had this year was a Claymore in the form of 1994 Cuvée LD Sonoma Chardonnay.

Best,
Joe

So it was big, chunky and lacking in any elegance. Of course it could beat the %^%^@##@& out of just about anything, but it would be done in bludgeon-like fashion.

Chablis rocks (except 2003).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat May 05, 2007 9:57 pm

It's only the modern epee that has the button at the point, John; the original epee most certainly did not have a button: it was designed for precise punctuation of the opponent. It was only in fencing practice that one attached a button.

Joe: You really think Macon is a falchion? You may have been drinking the wrong Macons, buddy. Maybe just plain "Macon Blanc" plonk, but there's some Macon out there that's plenty good enough, and far better than a falchion. Even for one with your rapier wit.

Now go and ponder that while you sharpen your skean dhu.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 05, 2007 10:04 pm

All right, that's it. I am advancing the art of war. I'm off to get my crossbow.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat May 05, 2007 10:24 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
JoePerry wrote:

Best,
Joe

So it was big, chunky and lacking in any elegance. Of course it could beat the %^%^@##@& out of just about anything, but it would be done in bludgeon-like fashion.

Chablis rocks (except 2003).

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmm!!!
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat May 05, 2007 10:27 pm

Hoke wrote:Joe: You really think Macon is a falchion?

Yes, without question. I'm not dissing the falchion, it's rather functional.

About halfway through Rosenberg's Paladins, btw.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun May 06, 2007 12:58 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:And I do apologize for forgetting that an epee is supposed to have a little gizmo at the tip -- I suppose it should teach me not to blather outside my expertise, but it won't.

Worry not. When Hoke was a kid the epee was designed for precise punctuation of the opponent. :D
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

by Alan Uchrinscko » Sun May 06, 2007 8:47 am

Since, I have been less than active recently, I'm going to leave this up to Dale, Robin and everyone else to refute this insanity before I post a REALLY LONG SCATHING DIATRIBE contending that Chablis is the greatest wine in the entire world (Incredible quality, Undervalued, 1 1/2 bad vintages in the last ten years, etc.)

Gentlemen, the floor is yours...

:)
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun May 06, 2007 12:25 pm

Zin is the greatest!!

(unlimbering battleaxe)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun May 06, 2007 12:41 pm

Alan, most of us just grin and shake our heads at young Perry's ideas, kind of like your crazy uncle Harry- off the wall, but harmless.

Any progress on book?
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun May 06, 2007 1:56 pm

Alan Uchrinscko wrote:Since, I have been less than active recently, I'm going to leave this up to Dale, Robin and everyone else to refute this insanity before I post a REALLY LONG SCATHING DIATRIBE contending that Chablis is the greatest wine in the entire world (Incredible quality, Undervalued, 1 1/2 bad vintages in the last ten years, etc.)

Could your diatribe really be that long when speaking on the defense of Chablis? :shock:

Comparing similarly stratified producers and vineyards, Chablis lacks the purity or finesse of Puligny-Montrachet and Chassagne-Montrachet, the complexity of Meursault, and it even lacks the affordability of Macon.

The best are good, but only in comparison to themselves.

Never mind opening the floor up to Riesling, Gruner, Chenin Blanc, Sauv. Blanc, etc. Boring. Boring. Boring.

You'll come around eventually. When you do, I'll be there with a glass of Tondonia Blanco for you.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun May 06, 2007 3:22 pm

JoePerry wrote:
Alan Uchrinscko wrote:Since, I have been less than active recently, I'm going to leave this up to Dale, Robin and everyone else to refute this insanity before I post a REALLY LONG SCATHING DIATRIBE contending that Chablis is the greatest wine in the entire world (Incredible quality, Undervalued, 1 1/2 bad vintages in the last ten years, etc.)

Could your diatribe really be that long when speaking on the defense of Chablis? :shock:

Comparing similarly stratified producers and vineyards, Chablis lacks the purity or finesse of Puligny-Montrachet and Chassagne-Montrachet, the complexity of Meursault, and it even lacks the affordability of Macon.

The best are good, but only in comparison to themselves.

Never mind opening the floor up to Riesling, Gruner, Chenin Blanc, Sauv. Blanc, etc. Boring. Boring. Boring.

You'll come around eventually. When you do, I'll be there with a glass of Tondonia Blanco for you.

Oh well! There are a few people in this world who will tell you Lincoln was a crappy over rated president. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 06, 2007 5:18 pm

Thanks so much for being wrong and leaving the floor to me. :wink:

Riesling (specifically German Riesling now that they have finally gotten the trocken thing down) is the greatest wine in the world. Dry to nobly sweet, ages forever, a diversity of terroir that would make all but the Cote d'Or shrink from competition, and the prices are still silly cheap for what you get.

Chablis is fantastic (Amy needs to hit Joe again), but it doesn't compete in this fight.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun May 06, 2007 5:46 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Oh well! There are a few people in this world who will tell you Lincoln was a crappy over rated president. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Did Lincoln drink Chablis?
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun May 06, 2007 6:07 pm

I'm not looking to get into any argument here, but if you had the opportunity to share my bottle of 2002 Fevre Bougros Cote de Bouguerots that I drank a couple of months ago, you would hardly call all Chablis "blah." I decanted about an hour before serving and it was downright stunning, in an understated way. Great acidity and vibrancy, just a touch oily, and it kept improving as it sat opened and warmed up a bit. A very fine Chablis, indeed.
BTW, I haven't had a La Chablisienne that has thrilled me.
Diane
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun May 06, 2007 6:16 pm

W. Fevre is one of those guys that everyone likes and I just don't see it.

Christian Moreau makes good wine... I wonder how good the wines would be if he was in a real wine producing area? :twisted:
Next