The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Trimbach dinner in DC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Trimbach dinner in DC

by JC (NC) » Fri May 04, 2007 4:17 pm

Macarthur's Beverages (Bassin's) is sponsoring a Trimbach wine dinner at Olives Restaurant Thursday, May 10th (cost is ONLY $125 per person). Winemaker Jean Trimbach will be on hand.

http://www.bassins.com/

Wish I could attend but alas...
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: Trimbach dinner in DC

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri May 04, 2007 7:58 pm

I was just over at Bassins picking up their "spring white" sampler: Pirineos Mesache Blanco 2006, Kinheimer Rosenberg Kabinett Marcus Stein 2004, Vina Nora Albarino 2005, Jean Siegler Riesling 2005, Marc Tempe Pinot Blanc 2002, Corbillieres Touraine 2005 (they had sold out of the Clos Roche Blanch Touraine on the original list).

Wish I could attend the Trimbach dinner, but I have spent my May wine budget already on three tasting classes by the French Wine Society that puport to cover the main French regions in depth.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 05, 2007 7:11 am

It's very interesting to see that Jean Trimbach will be there, but the wine line up is not exactly the best advertisement for the estate. Lots of 2003s there.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat May 05, 2007 9:28 am

Similar thoughts here, DB.

I don't know the calibre of this restaurant or the prices you have to pay for such events in the states but at the last winemaker dinner I attended (at one of the best restaurants (three hats) in Sydney) hosted by the most affable Christian Pol Roger, we had the following -

Unlimited pours of N/V (this was quite disappointing on the night, but has been on form ever since!) on demand

(full to the brim) single flutes of -

'95 Vintage (Outstanding)

'95 Rose (Very Good)

'95 Blanc de Blanc (Outstanding)

'88 Vintage RD (Outstanding)

'90 Vintage RD (Outstanding)

'93 Sir Winston Churchill (Excellent)

..... with evocative and imaginative dishes matched to each wine.

The cost - about the same (in US dollars) as this Trimbach dinner (similarly, a local retailer undertaking the responsibility of organising the night and recovering the cost of the food and all the wines)
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon May 07, 2007 9:18 am

I believe Olives is considered a top restaurant. I went to wine dinner in DC once at Nora's (a high-end restaurant featuring mostly organically grown food) with Jean-Paul Meo of Meo Camuzet and we had at least two premier cru red Burgundies and one grand cru (Vougeot) for about the same price I believe. In Raleigh, NC the wine dinners I have attended have ranged from $59 (before tax and tip) to $125 but the upper end has included hard to obtain French Burgundies or similar (a top Spanish wine and two vintages of Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve among other wines). A local restaurant in Fayetteville recently hosted a wine dinner with Vision Cellars Pinot Noirs that I would have liked to attend but I felt it was overpriced at $100. I would have gone if the price had been $75 or maybe $80, but if the winemaker is providing the wine for free or at wholesale price, I think that $100 is too much for the restaurant to charge for the dinner.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon May 07, 2007 3:16 pm

I will cry poor and say that at $125 per it is too much for this humble teacher. Even if the wines were '04s I couldn't afford the entry fee. It will be a great meal. There is a Bordeaux trade tasting that day and a dinner that night too.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon May 07, 2007 3:29 pm

[quote] K Story

I was just over at Bassins picking up their "spring white" sampler: Pirineos Mesache Blanco 2006, Kinheimer Rosenberg Kabinett Marcus Stein 2004, Vina Nora Albarino 2005, Jean Siegler Riesling 2005, Marc Tempe Pinot Blanc 2002, Corbillieres Touraine 2005 (they had sold out of the Clos Roche Blanch Touraine on the original listing.

I thought the spring white wine sampler sounded interesting (Albarino, Riesling, Pinot Blanc, etc.) I will look for your tasting notes on same.