The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Portugal Red

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Portugal Red

by Brian K Miller » Sun May 06, 2007 1:54 am

Quinta Dos Roques 1999 Reserva. Dao Blend.

Quite intriguing middle-aged Dao, my first. I am enjoying Portugese wines more than Spanish lately.

Pitch black-purple in color, there is a nose of blackberry and blueberry. Lots of sharp acidity on the palette, but I still liked it-the blackberry and blueberry carry through from the nose. A very strong note of "tobacco" but this doesn't taste like Chianti at all. for one thing, there are still lots and lots of tannins. Maybe a little volatile acidity? Just a hint though-a refereshing wine for such a big boy. About $19, and worth it ***

Rominger West Red Blend (Yolo County). New Davis winery. Simple, fruit forward quaffer. Tastes very sweet. Not my cup of tea, especially since it isn't much cheaper ($17) than the QDR Riserva above. *
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: WTN: Portugal Red

by RichardAtkinson » Mon May 07, 2007 5:16 pm

Hi Brian,

I've been drinking a few Portuguese reds of late. Well, as many as I can find anyway. Not many available down here. But quite a few of them have tobacco notes. In a couple, the tobacco was dominant. But they were in the lower price range (About $5-7.00 / bottle)

I wonder which grape contributes to that facet of the wine? Or is a manufacturing issue?

Richard
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 07, 2007 8:01 pm

I could probably google it :)

Google suggests that it's Tinto Nacional.

I've drunk one other Portuguese red (A Sogrape product) and had a similar reaction-lots of black fruit and tobacco. Good QPR
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue May 08, 2007 7:15 am

Is Tinto Nacional the same thing as Tempranillo?

Thanks for the notes, Brian. I haven't had much occasion to try Portuguese reds, but the theme of our next wine club gathering is Spain/Portugal and I may just go with the latter for my personal contribution after reading your notes.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt