The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: World Snooker Final

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:03 am

WTN: World Snooker Final

by David from Switzerland » Sun May 06, 2007 7:05 pm

Spent the Sunday (today) of the World Snooker Final in Sheffield at Remo’s and Nicole’s place. Unfortunately, the match has been rather one-sided so far: after two sessions, qualifier Mark Selby (England) is trailing former World Champion John Higgins (Scotland) by 12 frames to 4. Plenty of time to type last weekend’s tasting notes (see other posts).

Château Canon-La Gaffalière St. Emilion 1995
Half bottle opened whilst watching the World Snooker Final with Remo and Nicole. Deep garnet-ruby-black, large watery rim. Plummy-coulis-like and oaky (quite high quality oak, no doubt) on both nose and palate, some smokiness from both the oak and the chalky minerality. Some dried tarragon and plantain, mild but a bit rustic tobacco. Faintly dry, not too finely-grained, rather oak-induced tannin. Quite massive wine with warming alcohol. A modern style St. Emilion the likes of which I doubt age well in bottle, and that, to be honest, I can easily do without. Rating: 90-?

Château Gruaud-Larose St. Julien 1999
Whilst watching the World Snooker Final with Remo and Nicole. Thanks to Remo. Opened the night before. A wine I had not tasted since release. Opaque purplish ruby-black, medium watery-red rim. Freshly-sawed, lightly green oak, nice tobacco and lightly smoky minerality, bit lean but firm cherry and rhubarb-flavoured chocolate fruit and tannin. Medium body and length. A somewhat modern, leafy and not too ripe or terroir-expressive Gruaud-Larose (have fond memories of a number of earlier vintages, do not approve of the change in style here). But Remo and I agree on which of these two Châteaux’s wines are worth pursuing. No use letting this warm up in the glass – there is alcohol aplenty, along with a lack generosity. A tasty wine all the same, but one that I am afraid will always fall a fraction short of outstanding. Rating: 89(+?)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.