The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Jurtschitsch Riesling and Kaesler WOMS

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Jurtschitsch Riesling and Kaesler WOMS

by Jay Labrador » Mon May 07, 2007 2:51 am

Over the weekend we drove north about 150 miles north of Manila and 5,000 feet up the mountains to Baguio in order to escape the heat in the city. Unfortunately, there seems to be something to this global warming so that for the first time it wasn't necessary to wear jackets or sweaters as the temperature in Baguio didn't seem as cool as in past years.

I brought up 2 wines and had one each night with dinner.

Jurtschitsch Sonnhof Alte Reben Riesling Qualitatswein Trocken Langenlois 2002 - From Austria. Mint leaf and sour candy on the nose. Not really all that dry. Flavors of pear and boiled sweets stand out. Reminds me of Sauvignon Blanc. Lemony and slightly peppery too. Lots of flavor. Very good and ready to drink. Went perfectly with chicken marinated in calamansi (Philippine lemon).

Kaesler W.O.M.S Barossa Shiraz/Cabernet 2004 - WOMS stands for Weapon of Mass Seduction. Inky purple. Mint leaf and cherry on the nose. Full throttle flovor of cherry-vanilla-chocolate milkshake in the classic Barossa style. Well made and crammed with berries, tobacco and milk chocolate. You can tell the oak is there becaue of the vanilla but it is well integrated and not at all unpleasant. Definitely a fruit bomb but it avoids the sweet, cloying jaminess that can be associated with this style. No heat despite 15.5% alcohol. Soft and ready to drink. Impeccably balanced and ends with a long, dry, spicy, herby finish. Love it or hate it for most people but I think this does Barossa right.

The WOMS didn't exactly pair well with the spaghetti bolognese but you make do with the wine on hand.