The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Arcadian, Abeja, Stella Maris, Domaine Serene

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Arcadian, Abeja, Stella Maris, Domaine Serene

by Jenise » Mon May 07, 2007 6:21 pm

I took NO notes, but for posterity's sake, I wish to commit these impressions to the data base for later possible retrieval, so....

2001 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay
Not sure what I expected from Arcadia when Joe Davis turns his eye to chardonnay, but this wasn't it. Saturated yellow gold color and big, bold, ripe aromas and flavors. Corn on the cob, white flowers and brie cheese without the rind. A monster that needed a burg bowl to show well.

2002 Abeja Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley
Pulled to pour for neighbors who dropped in on their fifth wedding anniversary. Wasn't off or backward, but I liked this wine better a year ago. Blackberry fruit and great balance, but I think it will really sing in another year or two.

2001 Stella Maris Red Table Wine, Columbia Valley
This was more like it. Probably made of cab, merlot and syrah--we could detect all three. The wine has aged nicely and shows some leathery secondary nuances. Wish I had more.

1999 Domaine Serene Evenstadt Reserve pinot noir
Every now and then you open a bottle that makes you realize how rare it is to encounter flawlessness, and this was such a bottle. An absolute stunner. Why oh why haven't I been buying this stuff all along? I knew better, I really did.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Arcadian, Abeja, Stella Maris, Domaine Serene

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 07, 2007 8:08 pm

It is surprising what big Chards Joe makes isn't it?

I've had his Chard twice, and they just do not differentiate themselves the way his Pinots do.

Have you ever had any Arcadian Syrah?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon May 07, 2007 11:55 pm

I've only had the 03 Evenstad Reserve, but it was good enough to make me wish I could afford to buy 4-6 bottles every year.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 08, 2007 10:43 am

David, it is. The chard does not seem to come from the same hands the pinot does. No re the syrah...what's it like?

Doug, good as I'm sure the 03 was, aged Serenes are stratisopheric. A 13 year old 92 was the best domestic pinot I've ever had, and this 99 wasn't far behind. Hope you're able to put at least one bottle away for awhile, you won't be sorry.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 08, 2007 10:55 am

Jenise wrote: No re the syrah...what's it like?

I'll find out soon. I only have one bottle & it's in queue.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue May 08, 2007 7:13 pm

Yes, Jenise, I did put a bottle away - after I had the 03 in a restaurant I went and bought one for the cellar. I've managed to keep my hands off it, but it's been tempting. (Hmm, my daughter bought be a Chimney Rock Cab for my birthday last year - I'll have to steer her thinking to Oregon Pinot)

The really cool thing about the Serene in the restaurant is I was the one picking the wine for the table. It was a hit with everybody and worked well with the diverse dishes that were ordered.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue May 08, 2007 7:49 pm

I've had the '00 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Chard maybe 10 times.. and it is not what you describe. Lean, almost Chablis like, good acidity balance. I have had the '01 a couple of times, and the way you describe it, it sounds like buttered up, baby barf CA chard.... If I'm misreading you, I apologize.. I don't remember not liking the '01 or finding it as you describe it, but it has never stood out for me like the '00.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 08, 2007 8:05 pm

Lean, almost Chablis like

That's what one would have expected, yes, but not this 01. And it wasn't baby barf either, it was quite complex, but chablis like? NO. More like Mer et Soleil, and that starts but does not end with the color.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue May 08, 2007 10:02 pm

Jenise wrote:Doug, good as I'm sure the 03 was, aged Serenes are stratisopheric. A 13 year old 92 was the best domestic pinot I've ever had, and this 99 wasn't far behind. Hope you're able to put at least one bottle away for awhile, you won't be sorry.

Jenise, IIRC you acquired some of the 03 Yamhill Cuvee. Have you consumed any yet? I'm sitting on about 9 out of a case....and the 3 were consumed shortly after acquisition. So any insights as to how those are drinking would be appreciated.

BTW, I have an 02 Evenstad buried in the cellar somewhere. Along with a number of other WV PNs.....DDO Laurene, Lemelson, Torii Mor, Willakenzie, Hamacher, St. I, et al acquired on our trip there in 2005. At some point we'll get to drink these but I'm in no hurry.....unless I hear otherwise.
Cheers!
Mike