The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bush serves Newton, Peter Michael, Schramsberg at Queen's dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: Nixon and Schramsberg

by GeoCWeyer » Wed May 09, 2007 12:23 pm

Nixon served Schramsberg in China I believe toasting the reopening of US relations.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

Re: Nixon and Schramsberg

by Steve Slatcher » Wed May 09, 2007 3:19 pm

For the avoidance of doubt, AFAIK "Kentish Pinot Noir" exists primarily as a geeky wine joke. Certainly Google seems to confirm that. And I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed that is how David meant it.

Some prankster decided to immortalise the wine on conservadpedia.com. I can see it is heading for some sort of virtual life of its own now, and after another century of global warming when Pinot Noir covers Kent as far as the eye can see, historians will be plotting its origins of greatness back to the early 21st Century.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: Bush serves Newton, Peter Michael, Schramsberg at Queen's dinner

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed May 09, 2007 4:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Paulo in Philly wrote:Yellow Tail Shirazzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Since the gent professes to be a teetotaler, Paulo (although quite a few videos floating around suggest at least occasional backsliding), I expect he drank iced tea or water at this major public event.

<b>Drunk or sober? You decide.</b>

I somehow got stuck watching coverage of the dinner on CSPAN w/ my mother, and it definitely looked like water in his glass. The best part was when he sat down before she did once the toasts were made :oops:
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: Bush serves Newton, Peter Michael, Schramsberg at Queen's dinner

by Bill Hooper » Wed May 09, 2007 8:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I'm never one to be an apologist for politicians (especially GWB), but what's wrong with the policy? Surely it makes sense to present some quality American wines at a state dinner in America.

No matter how anybody perosnally feels about California Chardonnay or Cabernet styles, I can't see the reason for even any hidden snickering at this. And as for the "Champagne dressing" I'm willing to bet there wasn't a drop of real Champagne in it.

Hey, I love America (sans much of her wines). All I'm saying is that MY ADMINISTRATION/KINGDOM would have a broader range of countries represented on the carte...to go along with a gracious foreign policy.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
Previous