The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ch. Rausan-Segla (Margaux) 1988

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Ch. Rausan-Segla (Margaux) 1988

by David Lole » Wed May 09, 2007 6:13 am

Like Otto, I have a soft spot for this vintage and this wine delivers the goods in spades.

Alluring youthful medium ruby with a little pink and rust in the edge. Textbook left bank Bordeaux nose of cedar, blood, lead pencil, sweet damp earth, oregano and briar over a solid backdrop of weedy blackcurrant fruit and savoury/caramel oak. This medium-bodied claret reveals a seductive silkiness on the front palate, gorgeous juicy blackcurrant fruit, subservient savoury oak, beautifully integrated, firmish chalky tannins, lovely cleansing acidty and a long, incredibly good, creamy "old vine" finish. A real surprise packet. Have not had a lot of experience with this Chateau over the years, but if tonight's performance is representative, a very good source indeed, that, in this instance, represents extremely good value for money in the current, somewhat overheated, local secondary market. 92 points. Drink now - 2017.
Last edited by David Lole on Wed May 09, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Ch. Rausan-Segla (Margaux) 1988

by Saina » Wed May 09, 2007 3:22 pm

David Lole wrote:Textbook left bank Bordeaux [...]

...is exacty the reason why I have a soft spot for this vintage. Glad to see I'm not the only fan of this often overlooked vintage. Thanks for the note - must try one, as '88s are cheap and relatively easy to find.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: WTN: Ch. Rausan-Segla (Margaux) 1988

by Jon Peterson » Wed May 09, 2007 4:09 pm

Nice to read your review. I have not had this wine since the outstanding 1983 vintage. Now I'll be looking for the '88.
JP