The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Columbia Crest Reserve Syrah Washington.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2003 Columbia Crest Reserve Syrah Washington.

by Bob Ross » Wed May 09, 2007 5:10 pm

2003 Columbia Crest Reserve Syrah Washington. $12.00 a glass at Endless Vines. [Pricing seems out of line; available elsewhere is around $19.00 a bottle in this area.] 4000 cases. 14.1% alcohol; 98% Syrah; 2% Vignonier.

Lovely deep red color, deep hue, complex aromas and tastes with strawberry and pepper notes, very good balance with mild tannins and just a bit of acidity, long finish, lovely wine. Drinking at the top of its game; I wouldn't expect it to improve with age, but it is a great QPR at the $19 price point. 5*.

Notes: “Crafted in a Cote Rotie-style, generous Syrah aromatics of white pepper, cocoa and blueberry are threaded with the Viognier’s subtle sweet orange peel, pear and rose petal. Hints of spice and earthy overtones, Horse Heaven Hills terroir hallmarks, are followed by intense flavors of cocoa, roasted coffee bean and dark chocolate. The blueberry-raspberry finish resonates seductively and evenly.” -Ray Einberger, Winemaker

[Note: I'm swamped with a couple of major projects, and plan to post only tasting notes for the foreseeable future -- the notes are in the form they appear in my wine diary.]

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: 2003 Columbia Crest Reserve Syrah Washington.

by James Roscoe » Wed May 09, 2007 7:29 pm

I missed this Bob. I hope everything is okay. I have missed your regular participation on the forum. I hope you get out from under the work load and rejoin the team so to speak. You are one of the real "teachers" here.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2003 Columbia Crest Reserve Syrah Washington.

by Jenise » Thu May 10, 2007 11:32 am

$12 a glass? Definitely out of line. Hey, is it just me, or is there something incongruent about the words "Cote Rotie style" and "blueberry" in the same sentence? The blueberry character is very prevalent up here, and a reason why one would never mistake these syrahs for Northern Rhones.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov