The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An interesting evening with two '67 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: An interesting evening with two '67 Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 10, 2007 8:03 am

A friend in one of my wine groups turns 40 today, and so last night he got a few of us together to drink "some things he wanted to open."

A 1996 Chateau Montelena Riesling was tired, and past its best, but had some interesting minerality.

The 1998 Domaine Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet Combettes was initially quite closed and only giving a strangely muted peachy fruit. Air did great things for it though, as the wine tightened up in structure while also opening up in aromatics and flavors. Lots of minerals as well as peachy, citrusy fruit and a delicious creaminess that really added to the overall package.

The 1995 Rochioli Russian River Valley Pinot Noir and 1996 Saintbury Brown Ranch Pinot Noir were a study in contrast. The Rochioli fooled me into thinking Burgundy with some lovely earthy tonees added to well balanced fruit. The Saitsbury was clearly new world, but still quite restrained. I think both of these wines have aged really well, but I at least recall the Saintbury on release, and it was never a blockbuster wine to begin with, so perhaps these have aged on balance.

The two '67s were served blind. The 1967 Gruaud Larose was the more elegant and older tasting wine, with obvious cedar and old tobacco scents that were right therre with some still very pretty red fruit. This was very much a classical old Bordeaux. It had its ups and downs over the next hour, at times seeming to come apart in the glass, and alternately tightening up again to go another round. This really was a delicious wine, but it was totally outclassed by its flight-mate.

The 1967 Chateau Latour was the youngest tasting old wine I have ever had. In fact it had me thinking right bank. Now I am no Latour expert, but I have been fooled by both young and old Latour in the same way, so clearly there's more flamboyant fruit there than I am expecting. This wine had the most stunning smoked meat aroma I have come across in a long time, along with deep fruit and still some tannic structure. It's very much worth noting that storage on this Latour had been better than perfect for its whole life (it was recently gifted to the birthday boy), so the overall condition, while still stunning, was probably better than I will ever see again in my lifetime. And it is my lucky privlege to share a birth year with someone who is so ridiculously generous.

The next two wines had no chance as far as I was concerned. A 1979 Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon was overrun with VA, while a 1975 Chateau Lascombes was good, but still showed some VA. Others liked both of these wines more than I did, so perhaps I was just stunned by the Latour.

I had brought over the 2002 Anderson's Conn Valley 'Right Bank' Red Wine (60% Cab Franc, 40% Merlot). It was quite a shock to go back to a young wine, but it was very good, with herbal cab franc notes dominating suple underlying fruit. Interesting stuff, and at $40, quite a value for California.

We also had the 1988 J. J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese, which was still a very young wine, light and creamy, if lacking a touch of acidity. The overall complexity of fruit was delicious though. There was also a Loire SGN for which I do not recall the details.

Wonderful night.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: An interesting evening with two '67 Bordeaux

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 10, 2007 10:08 am

For the most part the 67s are way over the hill, but Latour is always a good choice in any vintage! Your Gruaud even sounds like it stood up, if a little wobbly! :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 am

Bill Spohn wrote: Your Gruaud even sounds like it stood up, if a little wobbly! :D

"What's this; he says he's not dead."
"Well he will be soon. Here's your nine pence."
"I'd like to go for a walk."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 10, 2007 12:03 pm

The Latour sounds fabu. Re the Conn Creek, that brand has been showing up on a lot of auctions lately the way things do when there's an ownership/label change. Are you aware of anything like that at Conn Creek?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 10, 2007 12:20 pm

Jenise, just in case you take these notes as incentive to start trolling the internet for 1967s, I'd advise you that the Latour was the wine of the vintage, way above any others. If you see any Latour, what the heck, take a chance (and be sure to seek a second opinion from yours truly). Anything else, give it a pass.

Of course nothing is set in conncreek.... :P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 10, 2007 12:31 pm

Bill,

No, haven't been trolling for 67's. Though my methods seem very random to you, I keep a list of wines and vintages to look for, and when I bite recklessly it's just because something's so cheap ('83 Chambert Marbuzet for $20) or it's a house I love or, sometimes, both occur at once, like that 66 Pontet Canet for which I paid just $35. Latour, my favorite First Growth, is another one I'd do that with except that they're never cheap. :) Haven't been buying much old Bdx lately, though: I'm buying white burgundy!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 10, 2007 12:53 pm

No idea on the Conn Creek.
no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

by François Audouze » Sun May 13, 2007 9:03 am

Bill,
As 1967 is the birth year of my first daughter, I have drunk a very significant number of wines of 1967.
It is clear that Latour is a winner as Latour 1967 that I have drunk several times, performs wonderfully.
But Pétrus 1967 can compete for the position of winner, as every time I have drunk Pétrus 1967 is was completely astonishing. Highly romantic.

Concerning a judgement on 1967 I see this year as having a quiet and long future. I do not see any urgency to drink the massive amount of 1967 wines that I have.

1967 is in the league of 1937 and can be kept for the next 20 years without any problem.

I am completely against the idea of a wine being "over the hill" as this notion does not work in the world of old wines.

If a wine should be one day over the hill, where do you put the top of the hill for a Meursault 1846, for a Montrachet 1864 that I have drunk and which belong to my best ever wines ?
"Over the hill" does not work in a long term perspective, and 1967 has a nice future.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sun May 13, 2007 4:19 pm

David,

I very much enjoyed a 1966 Gruaud Larose last year to the day because it was the eve of my 40th Wedding Anniversary, as tomorrow is the day of my 41st. Cool as hell bottle (the glass part); I hope they did not modernize it in 1967.

Totally appreciated and agreed with François's comments re the expression "over-the-hill" for old wines. Even more abhor the common idea of "off year."

Cheers,

Covert
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 13, 2007 4:44 pm

Well the botle of '67 Latour seemed like it would last for another 40 years, not just 20.

The Gruaud Larose was also nowhere near dead.

I agree that at least with proper storage most quality wines can last for an extrodinarily long time & give immense pleasure.

I've recently had '64 Montrose that was also outstanding.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun May 13, 2007 6:16 pm

I haven't had a 67 Bordeaux since last night :shock:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun May 13, 2007 6:25 pm

Covert wrote:I very much enjoyed a 1966 Gruaud Larose last year to the day because it was the eve of my 40th Wedding Anniversary, as tomorrow is the day of my 41st. Cool as hell bottle (the glass part); I hope they did not modernize it in 1967.

I think Cordier used those unusual bottles (like a cross between a Port bottle and Haut-Brion, with a "seal" in the glass) through at least mid-70s. I know the '70 Gruaud is in one (and '79 & '82 are in regular Bordeaux bottles). Pretty sure the '78 Talbots I had couple months ago was in the "Cordier bottle" too. So maybe '79 was the change?
no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

by François Audouze » Sun May 13, 2007 6:54 pm

Covert,
It seems that we are of the same promotion (this is the French word) !
I married my wife in 1966 and we celebrated in April our 41st anniversary.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Well my parents were married in 1966.

For what it's worth the Gruaud was in the old-style Cordier bottle