The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Stanton and Killeen Rutherglen Vintage Port 1983

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Stanton and Killeen Rutherglen Vintage Port 1983

by David Lole » Sat May 12, 2007 12:36 pm

Mature deep ruby verging to brick red with ample rust in the outer edge. The nineteen per cent alcohol makes itself known immediately, prickling the inner walls of the nostrils. Typical volatile, sweet bouquet of prune, black cherries an plums, licorice with a hint of dill and dusty, tarry oak. The palate reiterates the nuance of the nose, relatively thick and spiritous in texture but saved by some very fine acidity, polished dry, integrated tannins and an impressive long finish. I quite enjoyed this wine although I doubt whether this will ever be better than very good and there's little reason in leaving it any longer. 87 points.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Stanton and Killeen Rutherglen Vintage Port 1983

by Saina » Sat May 12, 2007 2:14 pm

David, that's interesting! I love a drop of old Port, but I haven't tasted Aussie "Ports". What grape(s) is it from? I remember drinking a S & K (Liqueur?) Muscat NV which was rather fantastic, but I can't find my TN on it anymore. :(
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: Stanton and Killeen Rutherglen Vintage Port 1983

by David Lole » Sat May 12, 2007 7:39 pm

Hi Otto,

Good question. There's no grape breakdown on the bottle, but I'll suggest to you it is most likely to be predominantly shiraz, although, Stanton and Killeen, and in particular Chris Killeen, winemaker since 1981, has a penchant for this wine style and has been using Portuguese grape varieties more and more over the years. So there could be a possible contribution from Touriga, Bastardo, Alvarelhao, etc (although I wouldn't bet my testicles on it! :wink: ) Chris might even use some Durif, as well.
Cheers,

David