The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Harbour Estate Riesling (Niagara Peninsula VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2004 Harbour Estate Riesling (Niagara Peninsula VQA)

by Paul B. » Sun May 13, 2007 12:54 am

11% alc. Clear, pale watery-green; some pétillance. Pineapple and petroleum on the nose framed by aromas of pine. With swirling, the pine/petroleum interplay really dominates - exactly the reason I took to the wine at the tasting room and bought some. Crisp and invigorating with balanced acidity and a slightly off-dry texture. Minerally on the mid-palate with precise flavour replays - plus a very nice zesty tangerine note - and a rounded finish.

It's good Niagara Riesling but I would have preferred it with a more intense structure - bone-dry, more steely acidity with maybe a notch more alcohol. Also, I got a faint hint of TCA in this particular bottle - the cork was one of those nasty composite types (cork bits pressed and glued together). In the absence of a solid, high-quality natural cork, a screwcap would have been a far better closure.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2004 Harbour Estate Riesling (Niagara Peninsula VQA)

by Paul B. » Sun May 13, 2007 2:06 pm

It seems that today, most of the TCA is gone ... I threw out the cheap cork yesterday immediately upon opening the bottle and put in a glass closure that I had saved from an earlier bottle of GV. The glass stopper fits, and it looks great - and, thank heavens, today the wine is all petrol and tangerines, and I'm happy.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca