The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Tinto Pesquera, Bodegas Alejandro Fernandez, Ribera Del Duero.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

WTN: 2004 Tinto Pesquera, Bodegas Alejandro Fernandez, Ribera Del Duero.

by R Cabrera » Sun May 13, 2007 1:49 pm

I posted a TN request on this wine about a week ago and I figured that, given the zero response, I’ll gladly take one for the team on this one.

Very dark purple, with primarily oak on the nose, presumably closed, as all I can muster with all the coaxing that I did were tannin and acidity, but it also had what I thought were slight glimpses of lean fruit. B.

I filled an empty 375 screw cap bottle with the remainder and stored into my home storage refrigerator.

Day 3: The wine did not budge, as it seemed to be more tannic and highly acidic than when I first opened the bottle. The remainder went back into the wine storage unit. B-.

Day 5: With the wife away, I scrounged the kitchen for some lunch and came upon some fresh mozzarella from our favorite local dairy store, Joe’s Dairy in Soho, and some flatbread. I opened the half-bottle and was immediately greeted with some whiff of wood, ripe fruit, some earth, and tobacco. It was more complex on the nose than on the first days. The liberated layers of black and blue fruit were nicely structured with the rounded tannin and lessened acidity. It was quite delicious and at about $23 per (case-discounted price), this wine will be a good QPR for the patient. It is actually one of the rare times, as far as I can recall, that I liked a wine that I had initially opened 5 days ago. A-.

Ramon