The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Short wine notes from tapas dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Short wine notes from tapas dinner

by Jay Labrador » Mon May 14, 2007 12:57 am

Tapas dinner by one of the graduating classes at Gene's cooking school. I was one of those invited to grade the students. 22 dishes in 16 courses!

Wines:

Torres San Valentin Garnacha 2004 - Rich coffee. A slight sweetness. Very nice, friendly Grenache and a great value for less than USD 8.00 here.

Enate Merlot-Merlot Somontano 1999 - Slightly corked although not enough to mask some graphite, coffee and tobacco. Still has a bit of tannin. Too bad as this was pretty good when tried last about a month ago.

Petalos Bierzo 2004 - A little oaky on the nose. Spicy and dry. Slightly hot and abrupt on the finish. Still, a good drink.

Ondarre Rioja reserva 1998 - Meaty nose. Bacon. Preserved Chinese plums. Drinking beautifully now. My favorite wine of the evening.

Torres Vina Brava 2000 - Garnacha and Carinena. Caramel nose. Light, getting old and losing its fruit. Short finish. Drink this up if you have it.

Zuccardi Q Malbec 2004 - Very dark. Sweet, new worldy. Ready to drink but simple. Not my type.

Bodegas Hidalgo Alameda Cream Sherry - Very nutty, light, marmalade character. More of an aperitif than a dessert.