The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A"kosted"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: A"kosted"

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 14, 2007 8:19 pm

More wines with my folks:

2004 Schmitges Erdener Pralat Riesling Spatlese Alte Reben (Mosel)
Minerally, citrus fruity and clear as that bell I mentioned a while ago. Halbtrocken, so just off dry, and very tasty. Overpriced, but hey it had to happen to a German wine some time.

2003 Melville Pinot Noir 'Terraces'
Lousy, alcoholic, and not worth $5, much less $40. Should have been dumped the minute it was fermented.

2004 Kosta-Browne Syrah Amber Ridge (RRV)
I expected to recoil in horror, but this was actually very good. I don't get the cult statu, nor the 95+ scores for these wines, but it was very good. Balanced, deep black fruit, good acids and ripe tannins. Enjoyable to drink and not at all over the top. 95 points or more...nope, but nothing to criticize here.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: WTN: A"kosted"

by Jason Hagen » Mon May 14, 2007 8:45 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2004 Kosta-Browne Syrah Amber Ridge (RRV)
I expected to recoil in horror, but this was actually very good. I don't get the cult statu, nor the 95+ scores for these wines, but it was very good. Balanced, deep black fruit, good acids and ripe tannins. Enjoyable to drink and not at all over the top. 95 points or more...nope, but nothing to criticize here.

Funny. When I tried this I thought it was really nice as well. But everyone I have heard talk about it lately said it wasn't very good. Your descriptor makes it sound very nice ... but others may have been looking for a cocktail.

J
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A"kosted"

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 15, 2007 10:05 am

I think the point sheep are looking for something that resembles Aussie Shiraz
Decisions are made by those who show up