The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Sonoma picnic spot?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Sonoma picnic spot?

by wnissen » Tue May 15, 2007 2:18 pm

Anyone know a nice place somewhere in the Sonoma Valley for a picnic? Santa Rosa or anywhere south of there would be ideal, but I'm flexible.

My sister and I thank you.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Sonoma picnic spot?

by Hoke » Tue May 15, 2007 2:29 pm

Sonoma County or Sonoma Valley, Walt?

If you mean Sonoma Valley/Valley of the Moon, I believe all (or certainly most) of the wineries have picnic tables available.

Check out Kunde. Beautiful site, nice people, should be tables available. Buy a bottle of their SB and enjoy.

Imagine Valley of the Moon winery on Madrone Road has same, as well as Kenwood. Several others.

There is a park right on Hwy 12, between Sonoma and Glen Ellen (right next to the fire station actually), right in Jack London country.

But the best place for a picnic is right smack dab in the middle of Sonoma Plaza! Beautiful spot, facilities available around the Plaza, shady and cool, and you can watch people as well. That's where I'd go.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 15, 2007 2:35 pm

Plenty of very good wine shops and tasting bars on almost all four sides of the Sonoma Plaza, too. :lol: I really like the simply named Sonoma Wine Shop, there's also Mayo Family, Enoteca, Castle Rock, etc. etc. etc.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue May 15, 2007 2:45 pm

Hoke wrote:Sonoma County or Sonoma Valley, Walt?

If you mean Sonoma Valley/Valley of the Moon, I believe all (or certainly most) of the wineries have picnic tables available.

Check out Kunde. Beautiful site, nice people, should be tables available. Buy a bottle of their SB and enjoy.

Imagine Valley of the Moon winery on Madrone Road has same, as well as Kenwood. Several others.

There is a park right on Hwy 12, between Sonoma and Glen Ellen (right next to the fire station actually), right in Jack London country.

But the best place for a picnic is right smack dab in the middle of Sonoma Plaza! Beautiful spot, facilities available around the Plaza, shady and cool, and you can watch people as well. That's where I'd go.

Whoops, I was trying to extend beyond the city of Sonoma, but I guess I meant anywhere in Sonoma County. However, it sounds like there are plenty of places to choose from. I'll see what time we pull into Sonoma and we can decide whether to take advantage of the square's atmosphere or head out to Kunde. Too bad that Sonoma Saveurs is closed...

Thanks both for your advice.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue May 15, 2007 3:49 pm

Well, if you want to go further afield, there is another possible option:

Up on the north side of Santa Rosa (the Mendocino exit from Hwy 101) you can go up Fountaingrove Drive, then turn off on Thomas Lake Harris Drive, wend your way up and down the hills to Paradise Ridge Winery, where you will find a winery, a picturesque picnic facility overlooking the Russian River Valley, and a gorgeous and serene open-air art show (which changes every few months). And its free! The Open-Air Art allows you to ramble around pathways through the scrub oaks and view numerous works in a natural environment. Much depends on the artist on display, of course, but every time I've gone there it has been tremendous. And each time there is a new display different pieces end up as part of the permanent collection, so there is a bit of continuity there as well. It's a delightful place---and not yet discovered by the mobs of tourists as yet, so it is still classified as one of the undiscovered treasures of the county.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 15, 2007 6:05 pm

One more suggestion just occurred to me: Matanzas Creek, which is a little further north (basically Glen Ellen/Kenwood) on Bennet Valley Road. They have a stunning winery set in a lavendar farm (it's a little more extensive than a mere "garden"). Good Chardonnay, nice Sauvignon Blanc, decent Cab, and an awesome dry, austere, lovely right-bank style Merlot (the consulting winemaker is French, Pierre Seillan)

Neat place.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue May 15, 2007 6:17 pm

You're basically right, Brian, with the addition of one little detail: there's a mountain between Glen Ellen/Kenwood and Matanzas Creek/Bennet Valley.

True, you can skirt around the lower edges of Sonoma Mountain from Glen Ellen to Bennet Valley, but it's not always the easiest road, especially in heavy traffic (like commute times).

But, yes, you're absolutely correct that Matanzas Creek is in a pretty, pretty setting, and it would be a lovely place for a picnic.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue May 15, 2007 10:51 pm

Hoke wrote:Well, if you want to go further afield, there is another possible option:
[snip]

Well, that is a quite the option. I'm sorry I don't have several days worth of picnics planned so I could try out that, and Kunde, and the square, and Brian's suggestion of the scenic Matanzas Creek. You guys are consistently so helpful.

Brian, I can be a fan of Northern California Merlot, I will keep an eye out.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 15, 2007 11:10 pm

Hoke wrote:You're basically right, Brian, with the addition of one little detail: there's a mountain between Glen Ellen/Kenwood and Matanzas Creek/Bennet Valley.

True, you can skirt around the lower edges of Sonoma Mountain from Glen Ellen to Bennet Valley, but it's not always the easiest road, especially in heavy traffic (like commute times).

But, yes, you're absolutely correct that Matanzas Creek is in a pretty, pretty setting, and it would be a lovely place for a picnic.

True, that. I was there on a weekend, so it wasn't bad for me. I've actually bicycled that road (in fact, a small segment of it on Sunday) and it can be a bit challenging during the peak period.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Tue May 15, 2007 11:17 pm

Gloria Ferrer- It is a little drive off the road, but their patio offers a nice view of the valley and with a glass of their champagne..er..sparkling wine, it can make for a nice evening. But I am not sure if you could picnic over there.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed May 16, 2007 12:37 pm

Arista winery in the RRV has an amazing setting......waterfall, walkways, lots of space...really very cool....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri May 25, 2007 12:18 pm

I'm happy to report that the winner of our picnic spot contest was Matanzas Creek, which equipped us with a half bottle of fine sauvignon blanc, three Riedel glasses, and sent us out to their hillside picnic area. Huge oak trees spread their branches across, covering the whole area in dappled shade, as we looked out over the irrigation pond and to the surrounding valley. I simply couldn't ask for anything more. Thanks to everyone, and I'm sorry we didn't make it to Paradise Ridge, but we were hungry and Matanzas was closer.

It seems that Mr. W. Blake Gray of the Chronicle agrees with you, Hoke, recommending Paradise Ridge. Among other wineries, they note that Ch. St. Jean sells by the glass, which would be useful with a group of three or less. Even a half bottle is a lot when you're tasting the rest of the day.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri May 25, 2007 7:41 pm

Glad you had a good experience. It is a pretty, pretty place. (and the Merlot I bought did not taste like cherry syrup, like so many do :? )
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri May 25, 2007 8:26 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Glad you had a good experience. It is a pretty, pretty place. (and the Merlot I bought did not taste like cherry syrup, like so many do :? )

Ah, yes, I recall the Merlot. It was a 2004, and I recall thinking, "this is almost a really good wine." It had fine structure but the fruit was a little short without enough balancing herbality/earthiness. Still, intriguing and a good step above most CA merlots, and not showing a whit of its 14.5% (!) alcohol.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the "Wine Country" map from AAA has a listing of wineries on the back with "P" for those with picnic facilities. Probably worth calling in advance, but a useful guide to see if there's anyone nearby.

Walt
Walter Nissen