The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pinot Noir Quiz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Pinot Noir Quiz

by Hoke » Tue May 15, 2007 4:37 pm

Inspired by some stats and comments accumulated in his latest newsletter by The Prince of Pinot (http://www.PrinceofPinot.com), I thought I'd twist some of it into a quiz to see how up we all are on PN these days.

1. According to the 2004 world acreage report of PN, the wine area with the greatest acreage of PN is

A. California
B. Burgundy
C. Champagne

2. According to that same report, the wine area with the greatest percentage of PN as a portion of its total grape acreage is

A. California
B. Burgundy
C. Champagne

3. Same acreage report. Which has the greater PN acreage as a percentage of its total wine acreage, Oregon or New Zealand?

4. The average restaurant price for Pinot Noir in the US rose from $45 in 1994 to nearly_____ in 1996. (Wine & Spirits)

A. $90
B. $70
C. $50
D. $75

5. Sales of Oregon PN by the case more than doubled in volume from 2000 to 2006. True or False?

6. Which showed a greater percentage increase in growth rate, California Pinot Noir or California Pinot Gris?

7. California Pinot Noir increased sales by 12% in 2006, but the harvest report indicated the total yield of PN the same year was

A. up 14%
B. down 17%
C. down 12%
D. down 3%

8. The second biggest wine export variety from New Zealand is

A. Chardonnay
B. Pinot Noir
C. Riesling
D. Merlot

9. Pinot Noir accounts for ______ of the food store wine market at last report. (Wine Business Monthly)

A. 4.5%
B. 7.9%
C. 1.1%
D. 2.8%

10. Burgundy reportedly produces 180 million bottles of wine, both red and white, annually. Of that, what is the approximate percentage of white to red? ___________________
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Pinot Noir Quiz

by Rahsaan » Tue May 15, 2007 6:22 pm

Should be interesting.

I'd say the greatest acreage of PN is CA (isn't it as big as the whole country of France) but the greatest acreage of PN as a portion of total grapes should be Burgundy.

Also curious to hear about the ratio of white to red in Burgundy. There should be more white, no? Easier to overcrop chardonnay for cheap generic crap?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue May 15, 2007 6:39 pm

Easier to overcrop chardonnay for cheap generic crap?

Ooh, bite your tongue!

Surely you can't be implying that the French---and especially the Burgundians, would ever consider making cheap generic crap?

Next you'll be claiming that they're sending a lot of it to naive and gullible foreigners. For very high prices.

I think $35 Pouilly-Fuisse in a grocery store is reasonable, don't you?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue May 15, 2007 6:45 pm

Hoke wrote:I think $35 Pouilly-Fuisse in a grocery store is reasonable, don't you?

Well if the grocery store is Andronico's..

Also, should be interesting to hear whether the percentage increase in growth was larger for CA PN or PG. My instinct says PG, because I imagine its acreage was much smaller and therefore easier to increase.

But of course as someone who spends most of his Bay Area time on the Mean Streets of North Berkeley and Downtown SF between the BART and DeeVine Wine, I know very little about what actually grows in CA aside from the products in my local farmer's market and the vineyards where Steve gets his fruit..
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue May 15, 2007 10:22 pm

Rahsaan:

Well, let's see. You made at least two sallies to winkle out a response from me. No, wait, three. I'd say, in response, that you show good reasoning, but perhaps in at least one instance you don't take the reasoning out far enough.