The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1997 Prum Spatlese, 2004 Lamborn Zin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 1997 Prum Spatlese, 2004 Lamborn Zin

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 16, 2007 8:43 am

Two more wines with dinner last night at my folks house:

1997 J. J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese (Mosel)
AP number 32-98 for those scoring at home. Pale yellow color. Lots of forest floor, diesel and creamy apple fruit on the nose. Still well into off-dry at age 10, but showing more bones, and a delicious creamy texural aspect. This is getting just into the drinking window, and two more years or so should see it to the top of a long, long ride. Prime drinking on this wine will go on for 10-15 years or more, since it has so much bright apple and lemon cream fruit to go along with emerging, but still gentle acids. The wine will not see the far side of life until at least 2030, longer with very cold storage.

2004 Lamborn Family Zinfandel Howell Mountain
Ruby to purple color. Blackberry and licorice aromas lead into well balanced flavors of crushed berries and meat. No trace of heat despite the 14.9% alcohol, so a very good job of balancing this wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1997 Prum Spatlese, 2004 Lamborn Zin

by Jenise » Wed May 16, 2007 12:02 pm

Sure don't see Lamborn zin mentioned very often. I probably wouldn't even know of it except that Mr. Lamborn (who I believe has since passed away) hung out in the original Compuserve wine forum for awhile.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed May 16, 2007 12:17 pm

Jenise wrote:Sure don't see Lamborn zin mentioned very often. I probably wouldn't even know of it except that Mr. Lamborn (who I believe has since passed away) hung out in the original Compuserve wine forum for awhile.

Actually I was encouraged by David's TN, as I visited Lamborn last year and picked up a zinfandel, but had doubts as the alcohol seemed quite hot at the time. I am very happy to hear it has quieted down a bit. They also had a blockbuster cab . . . but at those blockbuster Napa prices that aren't so appealing (for me, at least).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 17, 2007 2:02 pm

It's interesting you mention the alcohol, as I was initially going to have my folks open a bottle of the 2001 Lamborn Zin. I went for the 2004 because it had the 14.9% alcohol versus 15.8% in the 2001.
Decisions are made by those who show up