The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1997 Chateau Musar (Lebanon, Bekaa Valley)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

WTN: 1997 Chateau Musar (Lebanon, Bekaa Valley)

by James Dietz » Fri May 18, 2007 1:46 pm

1997 Chateau Musar - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley (5/17/2007)

Steve and Teddie (who are also garage winemakers, literally, they have 2 half barrels of Syrah for this year.. and their previous vintages have been outstanding) prepared dinner beginning with two pizza appetizers, one with tomatos and the other with shrimp and pesto, followed by a lovely mesclun salad and then perfectly prepared filet in a bordeaux and shallot reduction sauce with potatoes and green beans. Really first rate.

We had 10 wines on the table: a 2004 Linden Boisseau from Virginia, a Cab Franc, that Eric Anderson brought; really first rate;
1997 Sterling Cab that I brought almost as a lark, being one of the first wines I bought when I got into wine around 2000 or so...straight from the `expensive' wall at Cost + World Market; well this was actually very good; secondary flavors, drying fruit, earthiness, a very satisfying bottle;
1999 Barde-Haut;
2000 Petit Gravet Aine;
2000 Clos Margalaine, my third time with this wine... amazingly complex and complete and still relatively affordable;
2000 Grand Puy Lacoste, as beautiful as the last time I tried it, another relative QPR for a very complex wine;
2001 Grand Puy Lacoste, a lot tighter and more tannic than the 2000;
2001 Haut Bages Liberal, with a nice earthy stemmy flavor;
and 2003 Pavillion Rouge, my god, if this is this good, how is the Margaux?...this was beautiful to drink, probably my WOTN, with balanced red fruit, supple tannins and great finish... terrific wine...I need to get more

Now..on to the Musar. This bottle was a gift from self-described Musaroholoic Otto Nieminen sent from Finland via a mutual friend. I had no experience with these wines and was looking forward to trying this in a setting where it might be appreicated.

This intimate dinner--there were six of us--of true wine geeks seemed right. And while the Pavillon Rouge was my favorite of the night, the Musar was right there, a close second. My wife preferred the Musar to any of the others. Everyone enjoyed it, and I'm grateful to Otto and his passion for this wine for the opportunity to try this. Now, I have to source more, however,because this wine has plenty of life left. I would like 2 or 3 to see how it evolves over the next 5-7 years. So Otto has created yet another Musar fan, and I'm in the hunt.

What did this offer? It was bright, light, with a nice spiciness, maybe a hint of cumin. Lots of red fruit, a touch of tartness, and very lively. Balanced and with the flexibilty of Pinot in pairing with food. For me this was a 92..and for Lorena, a 4.5/5, a score she almost never gives. This wine created a lot of conversation about Lebanon and its tragedy.

If you have one of these in your collection, try it. If you don't and come across the 1997, I would not hesitate to recommend a buy.... thanx, Otto.. a terrific experience, made richer by the journey this wine made to get to our table last night.
Last edited by James Dietz on Fri May 18, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1997 Chateau Musar (Lebanon, Bekaa Valley)

by Jenise » Fri May 18, 2007 2:55 pm

Did you decant the Musar? I get the impression from Otto that the 97 is pretty reticent.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Fri May 18, 2007 7:04 pm

Jenise... I popped it open in the morning, poured about a 1/2 oz into a glass to see if it was ok....and then set it in the cellar for the remainder of the day w/o the cork....so... not decanted, but was allowed to breathe
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri May 18, 2007 7:23 pm

Jim, that is a great tasting. I highly recommend the Virginia Cab. Francs. There is something Loire-like about them, although they tend to be fruitier. The Bordeauxs are great picks. The Musar is the "BOMB"! Nice job! Otto will be proud. 8)
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Fri May 18, 2007 7:31 pm

I had never had a wine from Virginia, but this really was outstanding. Second night in a row that Eric Anderson had brought something very different. The previous night it had been a Chard from Pennsylvania.

I guess those of you East of the Mississippi have more good stuff to drink than I had thought!!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri May 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Lovely notes, Jim! 8)
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat May 19, 2007 2:52 am

Sounds like a great night. Thanks for the info. Still yet to pop my Musar cherry but the owner of Rosines is holding a bottle of 93 for me....my anniversary year.

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat May 19, 2007 2:06 pm

James Dietz wrote:2000 Grand Puy Lacoste, as beautiful as the last time I tried it, another relative QPR for a very complex wine;
2001 Grand Puy Lacoste, a lot tighter and more tannic than the 2000; [...] and 2003 Pavillion Rouge, my god, if this is this good, how is the Margaux?...this was beautiful to drink, probably my WOTN, with balanced red fruit, supple tannins and great finish... terrific wine...I need to get more

GPL rocks! It has consistently been one of my favourite Bordeauxs - a traditional wine that hasn't succumbed to Rollandisatory ideology (at least by the late 90's which IIRC the youngest I've tried from this property). I'm glad to hear that '00 and '01 seem fine. I wasn't impressed with the '03 Margaux - but I think it might be because I just don't tend to like hot vintages. But I recall it was a bit freaky and un-Bordeaux-like.

Everyone enjoyed it, and I'm grateful to Otto and his passion for this wine for the opportunity to try this. Now, I have to source more, however,because this wine has plenty of life left. I would like 2 or 3 to see how it evolves over the next 5-7 years. So Otto has created yet another Musar fan, and I'm in the hunt.

That sure makes my day! :) Though considering how polarizing the wine usually is, I'm surprised that everyone liked it - I really would have expected a couple people at least not to.

What did this offer? It was bright, light, with a nice spiciness, maybe a hint of cumin. Lots of red fruit, a touch of tartness, and very lively.

Bright? Yes. Light? As in light - bodied? Blimey! Must be all that Cali stuff you're drinking. :roll: ;) Or did you mean that the nose was lifted? I've always thought the concentration of fruit is huge in Musar and it's big bodied so in my parlance the word "light" just does not fit the wine. I'm curious about your use of the word.

This wine created a lot of conversation about Lebanon and its tragedy.

I've been in huge trouble for talking politics before, but read Robert Fisk's Pity the Nation - a fascinating account of the so called civil war in Lebanon.

.... thanx, Otto.. a terrific experience, made richer by the journey this wine made to get to our table last night.

You're welcome my friend! I'm glad that Wade thought it wasn't a problem to carry it over and I'm happy that you liked it!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Thu May 24, 2007 6:43 pm

Otto... I didn't think the wine was heavy or big... maybe I use `light' in the same way I use `refreshing.' I think it has something to do with acidity and a perception of, well, `lightness.' Maybe if I was an English student at a major European university I would have found the proper word to express what I was experiencing. 8)
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri May 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Light on its feet? I understand that.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Fri May 25, 2007 3:45 pm

Yes.. light on its feet.. and I have found a small supply of this not more than 3 miles from me for less than $40 US...
Cheers, Jim