The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cullor Me Bad 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

WTN: Cullor Me Bad 2007

by JoePerry » Sun May 20, 2007 11:56 pm

Preface: So, I’ve been remiss in my duties over the past six months, being swamped with work and classes. Classes over, and work slowing down for the next two months, I’ve decided to work back in time with tasting notes that have log-jammed my brain. The following is from a Cull party at Glenna Weiss’ house (where the enigmatic Charles Weiss has been known to frequent).

2002 Domaine de la Pépière Clos des Briords Muscadet: Does anyone really need to write a tasting note on this wine for the next five years? I think not.

2002 Le Petit Chambord Cour-Chevergny Vendanges Manuelles: Romorantin; neat! I remember Romorantin being a buzz grape on Therapy a few years back. It sure smells great! Tastes… God… *ack* sour white grape juice? Rarely do I encounter wine that tastes so grapey. It’s a good thing. I’d probably drink less wine. Cull? Bet your ass.

2001 Erath Riesling: Not nearly as bad as you would imagine from cheap Oregon Riesling. Not good, but probably a nice glass for non-geeks.

1998 Alvear Fino En Rama: “What the Hell,” I say to Bill, “vintage Fino? Why would you want vintage Fino? Isn’t that something you want to just drink the latest release of…wait, Alvear makes it, it must be 100% PX!” Bill, now reading the back label, announces, “why, yes, it is 100% Pedro Ximinez.”

Vintage Fino.

From Pedro Ximinez.

The wine smelled nicely of brine, walnuts and dates, but the palate was all fish oil and sweet-but-not-sweet, notes. It lacked the freshness and the precision of a good Fino.

Ottauquechee Pear Wine: Charles and Tom get to this first and mull over it as they reclined against the kitchen counter. “You know” Charles begins, “this isn’t the worst Pear wine I’ve had” “No. You’re right.” Tom replies. Intrigued, I gave it a whirl. Madre de Dios. Is this another prank? Skunk cabbage mingles with gummy hard candies… the kind you can only find collecting dust in an unused ashtray in the house of someone who remembers seeing Bobby Darin live. Worst wine of the night by a good margin.

1990 Chateau Beaucastel Blanc: Albert’s precious bottle, this was an outstanding wine which featured the entire spectrum of possibilities: floral, mineral, petrol, hints of fruit, round body, decent acidity, excellent length...

1993 Chateau Beaucastel Roussanne V.V.: Much darker than the young vines, this was oxidized, but still interesting. Charles’ $25 clearance tag featured prominently on the bottle. Likely some prior storage issues, but, interesting.

1982 Maitre D’Estornel: Used machine oil, compost heaps and road kill. Still quite fresh, shockingly, but that was actually a detractor in this case.

1998 Chateau-Grillet Vin Blanc: “I want to dip lobster in this!” I said to Bill. This wine was all freshly churned butter. If only this was a butter tasting…

1996 Domaine du Closel “Clos du Papillion” “Cuvee Special” Savennieres: Something’s not right here… vegetal, awkward and a bit sloth-like.

1997 Domaine Cotat “Le Monts Damnes” Sancerre: Amy and Lill pounded this in the corner across the room - I nearly lost a finger wrestling it from them! Nothing cull-worthy here. Great wine with good acidity, a hint of sweetness, and probably near peak.

1973 Bodegas Riojanas Monte Real Gran Reserva: This is not a cull. Bill thought to toss a ringer into the pit of despair with this gem. As usual, great wine that displays the beauty of resolved old American oak integrating into a savory palate of leather and clay. A touch of oyster mushroom on the finish. Terrific.

1970 Chateau L'Evangile Pomerol: Typical over-the-hill Bordeaux notes.

1990 Bodegas Marques de Murrieta Castillo Ygay Reserva: Damn, why did I bring this? Very much alive and about as angry as Rioja can get. Chewy dried cherries, great acidity and length. How did MdM screw up the 89s so bad and bounce back with such success?

1982 Bodegas Montecillo Rioja Vina Monty Gran Reserva: Mitake Mushrooms. I hate Mitake Mushrooms. This is definitely a cull. I think I got a bad batch of these.

1990 Domaines Ott Chateau de Selle: Shaped like a Mrs. Butterworth’s bottle, Bill told me that this was 75% Syrah and 25% Cab. We both agreed it tasted much more like the other way around.

1983 Chateau Saint Michelle Cold Creek Cabernet Sauvignon: Still a baby. American Cab lovers should take notice.

1995 Chateau Lynnat: As welcoming as an empty home with a cold fireplace and nothing in the fridge.

1967 Grand Vin de Leoville du Marquis de las Cases: Elegant wine with cedar box nose and decent acidity. A touch of musk obscures the fruit. Very nice.

1996 Lafarge Volnay: Some rose petals on the nose, but the body is hollow and afflicted with uneven acidity. What’s up with Lafarge? Last year I opened a 95 Volnay that was definitely over the hill with no signs of damage.

2003 Ogier La Rosine: Albert got hot and heavy over this wine. “This is GREAT wine” he said with his Belarus accent. “It’s good wine…” I replied. “WHAT? No, this is GREAT wine!” “Bill, BILL, what do you think of this - it’s GREAT - no?” “Well” says Bill, “It’s very good” “Charles, CHARLES, what do think of this?” (continues)

In truth, Ogier straddled the ripeness of 2003 and produced a fun, fruit-forward, wine.

1998 Domaine Deshenrys Coteaux-du-Languedoc "Eleve en Futs de Chene": Not a cull, but not anything worthy of remark, either. Run-of-the-mill juice.

1998 G.A.E.C. Belle Pere et Fils Crozes-Hermitage “Les Pierrelles”: Nice, clean, wine that represents Crozes quite well. The finish is a tad short, but I wouldn’t dump it out of my glass.

1986 Chateau D’Issan: Elegant Bordeaux with a nice aromatic bouquet. Near peak and very silky. Certainly the best Bordeaux of the night.

1966 Drouhin Savigny-les-Beaune: Outstanding!!! By far the best 1966 Savigny-les-Beaune that I’ve tasted. The color of moon jellyfish during mating season. I would strongly suggest anyone sitting on a case of this to be patient for a few more years. These babies are going to blow your mind when they peak. Wow, man, wow.

1971 Les Ormes de Pez: Refusing to die, this wine flashed bits of tannin as El Deguello played in the background.

2001 JJ Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr GoldKap Auslese #22: One of our companions brought this from their cellar not realizing it was the Goldkap. I think he subconsciously wanted us to by happy and his hand was thus moved. Young, as is expected, but showing all the right moves with impeccable timing. Very very lovely.

2001 August Perll Bopparder Hamm Mandelstien Auslese: The sweetness in this wine was more similar to sugar cubes than the fructose sweetness of the Prum, but it was approachable. A bit mousy in comparison, but good.

1995 Linden Late Harvest Vidal: Make the bad man stop.

1988 Bastor-Lamontagne Sauternes: Rough, like un-sanded wood.

1992 Kurt Darting Ungsteiner Honigsackel Scheurebe Auslese: Typical Scheurebe which makes a good platform for botrytis but not much else.

ETKO Commandaria “St. Nicholas”: Is this wine? The bottle doesn’t look like it… looks more like a Molotov Cocktail. Tastes Ok… some sweetness… not entirely unlike a simpler version of Setubal.

1983 Taylor Fladgate Vintage Port: Sinewy… I’m driving home so I don’t go much further than that. Ah well.

On the way out the door, I grabbed a glass of 1991 Chapoutier Ermitage Blanc L'Oree that I had set aside for the duration of the evening in the hopes that something might emerge. In the end, bizarre muskiness and chestnuts intermingled with an uncomfortably milk-like presence.

Thanks to Charles and Glenna for hosting (and making some great food - Amy is still talking about the perfect mushroom gravy). Cull night is a grand tradion, well, a tradition at the very least. There’s some pain, some joy, and much relief from being able to unload those cellar undesirables on others.

(more notes to come)

Best,
Joe
Last edited by JoePerry on Mon May 21, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Cullor Me Bad 2007

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 21, 2007 2:38 am

and a bit sloth-like.

This is a new first for me in a tasting note. :) :twisted:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon May 21, 2007 2:01 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:and a bit sloth-like.

This is a new first for me in a tasting note. :) :twisted:

However the wine moves me.

It's been speculated that the Closel was actually quite good. I assume I got a bit of bottle funk, and with 35 wines and trying to drive home, I didn't linger much unless there was something special.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Mon May 21, 2007 4:58 pm

Glad to see you are posting notes, again. They are such a fun read. Particularly regarding the bad ones. I guess I should never admit that I have seen Bobby Darin live????
-OW
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon May 21, 2007 6:00 pm

Joe! Home Run! It's nice to read notes with such originality. Well done young man! 8)
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon May 21, 2007 6:01 pm

Let's see. 2002 Pépière Briords, 2002 Cazin Cour-Chevergny (I liked this couple years ago), '90 & '93 Beaucastel blancs, 96 Closel, Cotat Sancerres, '73 Monte Real GR, '67 LLC, '96 Lafarge, Ogier, Drouhin, etc etc etc. A strange definition of cull party, though maybe you thought some were cooked or something?

I understand Ottauquechee Pear Wine & any Grillet or Late Harvest Vidal at a cull party.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon May 21, 2007 9:59 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Let's see. 2002 Pépière Briords, 2002 Cazin Cour-Chevergny (I liked this couple years ago), '90 & '93 Beaucastel blancs, 96 Closel, Cotat Sancerres, '73 Monte Real GR, '67 LLC, '96 Lafarge, Ogier, Drouhin, etc etc etc. A strange definition of cull party, though maybe you thought some were cooked or something?

I understand Ottauquechee Pear Wine & any Grillet or Late Harvest Vidal at a cull party.

SFJoe had the same (valid) comment. I will simply copy and paste what I said to him, to you.

"You and I, Joe, you and I know the meaning of a cull party. We wear our history with culls like a badge on our sleeves. However, there are those less initiated wine buyers who don't actually own culls (names unmentioned). In fact, the entire collection of these people might consist of entirely drinkable wines. Thus clueless to the meaning of cull, they bring wines such as 2001 Prum Goldkap with wide eyes and knocking knees before the pustulating alter of the cull.

No need to ask me if I know the true meaning of cull, just look in my eyes."

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon May 21, 2007 10:01 pm

OW Holmes wrote:Glad to see you are posting notes, again. They are such a fun read. Particularly regarding the bad ones. I guess I should never admit that I have seen Bobby Darin live????

Was it at the Coconut Grove?

It's good to be back... I'm a bit rusty but hopefully I'll shake the rust as I gain momentum.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon May 21, 2007 10:03 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Joe! Home Run! It's nice to read notes with such originality. Well done young man! 8)

Thanks, James. More to come!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon May 21, 2007 10:08 pm

Hmmm.....a cull party..... What a great idea. I can finally see what that wine from Iowa tastes like. I assume that is what a cull part is for. I also have a few other "gifts" I need to et someone who's to drunk to care to drink. I think it's time for a cull party! :lol:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon May 21, 2007 11:05 pm

"... wide eyes and knocking knees before the pustulating alter of the cull."

OMG, Joe, I was about to comment on some of the most interesting tasting notes I've read, and you come up with that definition! Breaking up an OF, you are.

Are you sure you were sitting in a dark corner when we were first together years ago?

I would think your brilliance would have been self illuminating.

Regards, and thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon May 21, 2007 11:42 pm

I sat next to Brad Kane.

Thanks for the praise; I assure you that I don't deserve it. This is just fun for me.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue May 22, 2007 4:49 am

"I sat next to Brad Kane."

I don't think so -- who can forget Brad Kane? From my notes for 2001:

"Friday, January 19, offline at Ristorante I Fiorentino, another dark and this time rainy/snowy night. Grim entrance through a storage room to a dark and grimy dinning room, a rectangular table and a round table, side by side, and excellent Italian food in immense portions. The light and the seating arrangements made it hard for me to remember everyone’s names – or perhaps more importantly, to see the A. P. Numbers (I do think most started with “2”) – but I do remember Charles Weiss, Robin, Thor, Theresa, Pmac and his trusty coffee pot (and the generous loan of a lovely tasting glass), Steve and Marianne Scarborough, a new guy named Joseph Perry, young and enthusiastic, Bill from Michigan via Newark, New Jersey, DanS., Karl Wee, David Bueker, Mike Lawton, and some others – my apologies for failing eyesight and memory."

:-)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Tue May 22, 2007 5:38 am

Joe,
Thanks for the commemorative notes. A great read as always. And occasionally spot on :twisted:

I'll hopefully get around to writing up some summary note of the evening.

The Sancerre LMD was from Thomas-Labaille rather than Cotat. Do you still like it as much?

Dale,
The call to order for these annual events defines culls in the following way:

"Bring culls, defined for this purpose as: wines that you'd normally be afraid to bring somewhere because they may be too old, or no good for some other reason, but which would be of interest or possibly even bring pleasure to wine geeks if they turn out to be drinkable."

The Briords was just a warmup wine, the Prum was manna from heaven, and the rest were very much in the spirit of the evening. As expected, some were very good, some were very not.

Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue May 22, 2007 5:50 am

I only had one experience with culls. I was trying to buy Maine lobsters out of a large tank, above which a sign offered culls at something like half price. A man and his wife ahead of me were putting a crusty old fish store merchant through hell attempting to find the last cull in the tank, after they had four of five already in their bag. The fish guy would say, I don’t think there are any more left, and the customer would point to another murky depth and ask the merchant to search it one more time. Finally, exasperated, the fish guy grabbed a sizeable intact lobster, tore off one claw and tossed the crustacean on the counter, exclaiming, ‘Here’s your damned cull’. The lobster slid across the slick surface, understandably pissed off, - and when saved from going over the edge by one of the two ample soft breasts of the patron’s wife, latched with its remaining weapon to the most protruding part. What a shriek! There is a certain energy around the assignation of 'cull', and probably sometimes a just dessert.
Last edited by Covert on Tue May 22, 2007 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Tue May 22, 2007 6:13 am

We'll try that next year, Covert.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue May 22, 2007 10:02 am

Bob Ross wrote:"I sat next to Brad Kane."

I don't think so -- who can forget Brad Kane? From my notes for 2001:

"Friday, January 19, offline at Ristorante I Fiorentino, another dark and this time rainy/snowy night. Grim entrance through a storage room to a dark and grimy dinning room, a rectangular table and a round table, side by side, and excellent Italian food in immense portions. The light and the seating arrangements made it hard for me to remember everyone’s names – or perhaps more importantly, to see the A. P. Numbers (I do think most started with “2”) – but I do remember Charles Weiss, Robin, Thor, Theresa, Pmac and his trusty coffee pot (and the generous loan of a lovely tasting glass), Steve and Marianne Scarborough, a new guy named Joseph Perry, young and enthusiastic, Bill from Michigan via Newark, New Jersey, DanS., Karl Wee, David Bueker, Mike Lawton, and some others – my apologies for failing eyesight and memory."

:-)

Regards, Bob

Oh, that's right, this was our first meeting.

I was thinking of the Cafe Loup offline late 2001.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue May 22, 2007 10:08 am

Charles Weiss wrote:Joe,
Thanks for the commemorative notes. A great read as always. And occasionally spot on :twisted:

I'll hopefully get around to writing up some summary note of the evening.

The Sancerre LMD was from Thomas-Labaille rather than Cotat. Do you still like it as much?

Dale,
The call to order for these annual events defines culls in the following way:

"Bring culls, defined for this purpose as: wines that you'd normally be afraid to bring somewhere because they may be too old, or no good for some other reason, but which would be of interest or possibly even bring pleasure to wine geeks if they turn out to be drinkable."

The Briords was just a warmup wine, the Prum was manna from heaven, and the rest were very much in the spirit of the evening. As expected, some were very good, some were very not.

Charles

You know, I though it was T-L but for some reason I wrote down Cotat. I still like it *almost* as much.

Hey, can you shed some light on the Closel? I got my pour right away and had some issues with it. Bill B enjoyed it as did you. Did you notice any bottle funk or period where the wine was waking up?

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed May 23, 2007 12:04 am

Joe, that November 2001 offline was one of the best I've ever gone to; thought it then, still think so.

On balance, this was one of the best selections I’ve seen at a NYC dinner. Brad said that a couple of years ago there was a “Gem” tasting, and I always think Kane is Right, so I must defer. But certainly the company was gem-like – a happy, funny, glorious evening of friendship and fine wine.

Fletcher even gave me sort of a compliment -- "the New Jersey paradox". And I thought it wonderful that you would support New York City by visiting during that period.

Attendees: Lisa Allen, Fern Beckman, Tony Fletcher, Elyse Fradkin, Brad Kane, Martin Lebwohl, Anna McCormick, Frank McCormick, Joseph Perry, Bob Ross.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Thu May 24, 2007 1:17 pm

Joe, such entertaining and funny notes! I was really sorry to miss this--I've wanted to attend a cull party from the moment the concept was first introduced to me. It sounds like there were some really nice pleasant surprises and some classic horrors. I'm glad the '90 Beaucastel blanc was good--I just can't seem to find a Beau blanc I like, but I am up for the continued quest.

That '86 d'Issan sounds a bit better than the bottle I had 3 years ago, which was on the slow decline--either way it seems like time to drink up.

By the way, my favorite line was about the wine that was as welcoming as an empty home with a cold fireplace and nothing in the fridge... :D
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu May 24, 2007 2:29 pm

Michael Malinoski wrote:I'm glad the '90 Beaucastel blanc was good--I just can't seem to find a Beau blanc I like, but I am up for the continued quest.

This was the first bottle I actually enjoyed, myself. The rest have been so-so.

Michael Malinoski wrote:That '86 d'Issan sounds a bit better than the bottle I had 3 years ago, which was on the slow decline--either way it seems like time to drink up.

Perfect time for me. I always like Bordeaux better when others think they are passed! The aromatic quality of this wine was what really struck me.

Hope to see you there next year.

Best,
Joe