The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Short notes from German wine tasting mostly '06

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Short notes from German wine tasting mostly '06

by Jay Labrador » Wed May 23, 2007 11:52 am

Notes from a tasting sponsored by the German Embassy. The wines were supposed to be mostly '05s but we ended up mostly with '06s due to some misunderstandings with the wine suppliers.

Von Buhl Spatlese Trocken 2006 - Ripe fruit. Lemony. Still a bit of sweetness here. I would have guessed a halbtrocken rather than trocken. Very Good.

Niederhausen Schlossbockelheim Niederhausen Hermannsberg Riesling Kabinett Trocken 2005 - Nahe. Fragrant peach on the nose. Lots of acid. Grapefruit. Lightish classic kabinett. Good

Castell Casteller Hohmart Silvaner Kabinett 2005 - From Franken. A bit of peach. Flowery, very light. A summer wine. Has a distinct bitterness in the finish if taken too warm. Good.

Gunderloch Dornfelder 2003 - The only red wine at the tasting. Light, slightly bitter. Lacks flavor. Very dry. Pleasant enough though.

Pfeffingen Eymael "Pfeffo" Riesling Kabinett Halbtrocken 2006 - Grapey, a bit of spritz. Quite spicy and very flavorful. Quite heavy for a kabinett. Interesting and very good.

Gunderloch Jean Baptiste Riesling Kabinett 2006 - Lemon rind. A bit simple. Good but not up to the standard of the 2005.

St. Urbanshof Riesling QbA 2006 - Strange sour candy flavor. Lime. Lots of acid on the finish. Just ok and again, not up to the standard of the 2005.

Robert Weil Riesling Kabinett 2006 - What a wine! Rich, full, ultra-sweet kabinett. Could be declassified auslese. Dessert wine material. I wonder what the higher pradikats from Weil are like. Outstanding but hardly a kabinett.

A very good tasting over all. I have no idea how 2006 was for Germany but judging from these examples, it appears to have been quite successful and produced ripe grapes with good amounts of sugar.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Short notes from German wine tasting mostly '06

by Rahsaan » Wed May 23, 2007 12:22 pm

Jay Labrador wrote:I have no idea how 2006 was for Germany but judging from these examples, it appears to have been quite successful and produced ripe grapes with good amounts of sugar.

That's the least you could say :lol:

For more see: http://www.skurnikwines.com/msw/2006vintagereport.html