The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An exceptional Chateau de Rouillac Bordeaux France 2000.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: An exceptional Chateau de Rouillac Bordeaux France 2000.

by Bob Ross » Wed May 23, 2007 2:38 pm

WTN: Chateau de Rouillac Pessac Leognan Bordeaux France 2000. 13% alcohol. $25 from Andrea Robinson. Imported by Morrell Wine Experince, Manhasset NY. Ruby red color, medium hue, excellent aromas and tastes, lovely fruit underlaying everything, very good earth, forest, herb and chocolate notes, medium mouth feel, lovely smooth tannins with just a hint of acidity, long, long finish with fruit, spice, earth, forest, herb and chocolate notes. Exceptional match with rare bison burgers and a blend of wild mushrooms. I haven't enjoyed Chateau de Rouillac in the past, but this was an exceptionally good Bordeaux by any standard. And of course the WS tasting recently sharpened my Bordeaux palate. Very strongly recommended.

[PS: I've attached Andrea's suggested recipe, which I plan to make for Memorial Day and enjoy with a second bottle of this wine. More anon.]

Regards, Bob

Notes: Web page: http://www.lafragette.com/uk/millesimes/

Andrea Robinson tasting note: I was so thrilled to find this wine, which comes from a great Bordeaux vintage. Thanks to the substantial time it has had in the bottle, the wine is now in absolutely perfect drinking and pairing condition. The scent is classically "Bordeaux." In fact, a great education is to pour the wine alongside a California Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot to see how terroir dominates in the Bordeaux, while fruit dominates in most California Cabs and Merlots. This wine is 60% Cabernet and 40% Merlot, a very typical blend for chateaux in this part of Bordeaux.

The scent of this wine is what I'd term "banker" Bordeaux, meaning so typical of the region that if I were blind tasting it, I could bank on getting the origin right. The specific scents I am speaking of are toasted coffee bean, dusty autumn leaves, and forest floor, with plenty of ripe cassis fruit in the background. There's just enough of a tannic tug on the palate to give it structure, and a very long finish that echoes with smoke and pencil lead. To my taste it is ready now, but will hold and continue to evolve for another 5 years or so. This pairing recipe is based on a classic dish served in the old Walnut Room restaurant at Marshall-Field's (now Macys) on State Street in Chicago.

Fingerling Potato Salad with Blue Cheese and Bacon Serves 4-6

1 lb fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 T extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
12 sage leaves
4 slices smoked bacon
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (such as Maytag or Cambazzola)

Preheat oven to 400 F. In a bowl, toss the potatoes with 2 T of the oil and salt and pepper and spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 minutes until tender and browned on the edges. Remove from the baking sheet to an 8x8 inch baking dish and set aside. Decrease the oven heat to 350 F. Dip the sage leaves in 1 T olive oil to coat, and place on the baking sheet. Place in oven until crisp but not browned, about 6 minutes (watch them carefully and remove before they begin to brown). Remove to a paper towel, sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and allow to cool. Meanwhile, place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook, turning, until crisped. Transfer to paper towels to drain and cool. Chop the bacon. Top the potatoes in the baking dish with the bacon and blue cheese. Place in the oven for 1 minute to soften the cheese. Divide the potatoes among serving plates and top with the sage leaves, drizzling on additional olive oil if desired. Serve warm.