The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pieropan Soave '06, Texier '04, Trimbach CSH '96

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Pieropan Soave '06, Texier '04, Trimbach CSH '96

by Saina » Wed May 23, 2007 4:00 pm

Pieropan Soave Classico 2006 12%

Refreshing, citrussy and nutty. It has nice acidity without being tart, nice fruit without being plump and nice minerality without being only rocks. Nice stuff.

Texier Côtes du Rhône Brézème 2004 12,5%

100% Syrah from the opposite side of the river to Hermitage. Peppery, red toned fruit, very true to the variety. Lovely savoury fruit, moderately hight acidity and suprisingly long for a wine that is so cheap (4€ ex-cellar IIRC). It is premature to say so, but I think this will be my QPR red of the year. Nice stuff.

Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune 1996

Served blind at a restaurant; opened two days earlier. A fresh and young nose that screams Alsace Riesling to me. Intense yet gloriously fruity palate, dry and forceful yet friendly. I did guess Alsace, but this wasn't as austere as Trimbach (and indeed this wine) has in my experience usually been. I guess the two days open brought out more fruit than I would have guessed and hoped. Excellent, but not as lovable in its steely austerity as I remembered it from a previous taste.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Pieropan Soave '06, Texier '04, Trimbach CSH '96

by Jenise » Wed May 23, 2007 4:07 pm

Pieropan's a favorite here, too. But, you get Texier there? That's great, whatever you do, find the Viognier.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed May 23, 2007 4:43 pm

I salivated through your note on the Viognier, but no Texiers are available here for purchase home. I'll ask the importer if he brings in the Viognier also - it might be good for me to try the grape that, like you, I have rarely enjoyed.

-O-
no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:28 pm

by MLawton » Thu May 24, 2007 11:08 am

Otto,

The opposite side of the river from Hermitage is Tournon, which is St. Joseph. In fact, the AOC St. Joseph is quite long, stretching from almost the north end of Cornas to almost the south end of Condrieu.

Brezeme is a fair bit further south, and you have to pass Cornas and St. Peray first.

Thanks for taking one for the team on the 96 Ste Hune. Mine are going to sleep for quite a number more years...from your note, it sounds like it's still got a few kinks to work out. I expect it to be outstanding with time. I'll let you know in 10-15 more years.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu May 24, 2007 4:38 pm

Thanks for correcting my geography. I have tried the CSH on day one recently also and it was stunning. I really love this wine, but yes it is very young. Need help drinking it in 10-15 years? :)

-O-
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu May 24, 2007 7:08 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: (4€ ex-cellar IIRC). It is premature to say so, but I think this will be my QPR red of the year. Nice stuff.

At that price yes, it would be a QPR red of the Whatever.

But it always hurts to read about these ex-cellar prices doesn't it.