The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2001 Sean Thackrey Sirius Mendocino Petite Sirah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 2001 Sean Thackrey Sirius Mendocino Petite Sirah

by geo t. » Wed May 23, 2007 9:52 pm

It’s been a while since we tried the following wine from Sean Thackrey, so what better excuse to see how it’s faring than during a visit from a fellow fan, our own Cousin Larry Meehan?

2001 Sean Thackrey Sirius Old Vines Mendocino Petite Sirah Eaglepoint Ranch, 14.7% alc., $45: Still pretty inky in color, this exudes effusive aromatics of earthy sweet plum and berry that show just a bit of the barnyard; the luscious flavors echo and expand, trading the poopy character in on some mint, and as it opens, some subtle leather. Rich and ripe, but not over-ripe, with excellent intensity and good structure that doesn’t interfere with tonight’s drinking enjoyment. We poured this blind for Larry, who described a “fine powdery, chalky texture, and because of the mint, characterized it as “Thack-nerian,” adding “I have no real guess what grape this might be; it’s sort of an omni-grape.” He was quite pleasantly surprised when we revealed the identity of this mysterian wine, and it was given thumbs up all around. Give it some air and drink it now or hold it up to five more years and beyond; either way and you’ve got a winner.

-from Better Red than Dead

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: 2001 Sean Thackrey Sirius Mendocino Petite Sirah

by Jenise » Thu May 24, 2007 1:07 pm

Thacknerian...now there's a useful adjective. I like it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

Re: TN: 2001 Sean Thackrey Sirius Mendocino Petite Sirah

by geo t. » Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Jenise wrote:Thacknerian...now there's a useful adjective. I like it.

Me too; wish I could take credit for it!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :lol:
Nunquam Spuemus