The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Domaine Weinbach, Alsace

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WTN: 2003 Domaine Weinbach, Alsace

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri May 25, 2007 1:12 pm

This was my first sylvaner, which was part of an Alsace/Burgundy tasting last night, the second of a three-part seminar on the major wine regions of France by Laurent Guinond of GiraMondo Assoc.

Anyway, this was one of the weirdest grapes I've tasted, and I can't claim to have been a big fan. The nose was kerosene, magic marker, nail polish remover...descriptions flew around the table, but everyone agreed that the aroma was not something that would necessarily whet the appetite for tasting. Laurent offered up pine resin as something a bit kinder, and I guess I could see that, but it still smelled like a Sharpie to me (although to be honest...I always sniff my Sharpie at work before using it...I like the smell, just not in my wine!).

The palate had a bit of a bite and was defintely better than the smell, with some citrus and a surprisingly long finish, but at $17.99, even the one or two in the room who enjoyed it's properties said they probably wouldn't buy it.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2003 Domaine Weinbach, Alsace

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 25, 2007 1:13 pm

Usually an interesting wine, from a bit of an offbeat grape, but a terrible vintage for that wine, and likely too old, as Sylvaner does not keep, especially when from a low, low, low acid year.
Decisions are made by those who show up