The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Harbour Estates Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2006 Harbour Estates Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Sat May 26, 2007 10:52 pm

The 2006 vintage was challenging for red wines in Ontario to say the least. Some of you may recall my woes last year in trying to find decent red grapes for my homemade wine. Even Concord, typically a "champion" variety, was beset with much rot and underripeness, and some of the red hybrids I looked at weren't much better. Having said that, I still think that in poor vintages, talented hands can coax decent fruit from a vine - and if need be, talented winemakers can still craft wines that appear to bespeak more than the sum of their predicted parts.

So it is with the 2006 Baco Noir from Harbour Estate, a wine that surprises me on two major fronts. 11.5% alc./vol. Intense - I mean glass-staining - purple/ruby/magenta inky colour with near-total saturation at the core; very dark for such a challenging, wet and drab September (remember: Baco typically ripens mid-to-late September in Ontario). Very fine, youthful carbonation shows up as minuscule CO2 bubbles inside the glass. Hickory/V. riparia/plum/bramble nose with a faint whiff of volatility that reminds me of a certain Barbera a few years back. More sweet wild-grape grassy notes emerge with swirling. I even get faint hints of horsey brett - very unexpected. Crisp and lively acidity and very fine texture on the mid-palate; a few degrees of residual sugar as well, and though I prefer complete dryness, the touch of residual sweetness actually works here. This doesn't look or taste like a cold-vintage red. Supple and full on the palate; very food-friendly, juicy and refreshing. I don't pick up any oak in it. Exceptional balance; fine, diminutive tannins. Long hickory-smoke/leafy finish - typical Ontario Baco in an atypical vintage.

I like it, and it went well with my homemade pizza.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: 2006 Harbour Estates Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Howie Hart » Sun May 27, 2007 8:08 am

Paul B. wrote:The 2006 vintage was challenging for red wines ....
That is true Paul. I couldn't lay my hands on any Gamay and my grower for Foch pulled his vines out last year so I bought some Foch juice from a press house that will end being a Rose. Foch Rose??? who ever heard of such a thing?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2006 Harbour Estates Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Sun May 27, 2007 11:44 am

Howie, I think that a laser-crisp, sharp Foch rosé could be a wonderful wine. I haven't seen any VQA ones here in Ontario that I would buy, but that's because most of these rosés are not made with structure but blandness so as to conform to undemanding tastes ... there is little in them besides nondescript flavours and a soft/sweetish finish.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca