The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Joseph Swan Stellwagen Zin '01

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN: Joseph Swan Stellwagen Zin '01

by John Treder » Sun May 27, 2007 10:36 pm

Soooo good!!

With spaghetti Bolognese last night and veal scallopine this evening, I can hardly imagine a better food wine.

A little more Zinfandel-ish in this vintage, not nearly so full-bodied as the '98. You'd never believe it has 15.1% alcohol. It's light on the tongue and just slips away.

These 1880s vines produce what I think is the best Zin there is.

And an Italian from Scotland won the 500.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Joseph Swan Stellwagen Zin '01

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 28, 2007 6:33 pm

Interesting tasting note, John. We just cracked a J.S. wine from "the other side" of the sp[ectrum last night-1999 Mancini Ranch. Lighter in color, raspberry adn zinberry, and a lot of food-friendly acidity.

I really do prefer Napa and Cooler Zone (Russian River, not Dry Creek) Sonoma Zins to the bigger, jammier specieis from say, the foothills. The foothills zins are often jus ttoo much.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon May 28, 2007 10:01 pm

That 99 Mancini Ranch Zin is as you describe it.....outstanding and priced well to boot.. $25 I think.

I haven't had the chance to try the Stellwagen yet....but will get to it.. thanx for the note, John.

Swan has me at least thinking I might be able to like Zin again...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon May 28, 2007 10:13 pm

Brian, you need to buy and try a Nalle zin from the Dry Creek appellation. You will change your mind I promise.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon May 28, 2007 10:18 pm

I would add that Cedarville's Zins from the Sierra foothills also aren't too much either.... very nicely balanced
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon May 28, 2007 11:09 pm

The Stellwagen vineyard is on Sonoma Mountain. I haven't grilled Rod as to just where it is on that lump of dirt.

One of those wines that doesn't spend enough time in the glass to see how it develops -- it goes down too fast!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 29, 2007 2:31 am

Nalle is on my list, Bob. Cedarville is a new one!

I found another one that was quite nice, too: Trinitas Old Vine Contra Costa, that's another "food friendly" lighter zin. From old Cline plantings, I understand.

There are some Dry Creek Zins I still enjoy (Wilson, Deux Amis). It's just the ones that make my teeth ache from all the sweet, jammy, thick fruit.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach