The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Meals

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Two Meals

by Rahsaan » Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 pm

With smoked trout, roasted potatoes and salad I had planned to drink the 2001 Chandon de Briailles Pernand Vergelesses Ile des Vergelesses, which was a lovely crisp structured earthy earthy earthy and mineral drink of wine, only getting better and better as the night went on. But with dinner the star of the show was the 1996 Pierre Luneau Papin Muscadet Le L D'Or that had been opened the night before and had been a bit golden roasted and unfocused at the time. But on day two it really got its act together and became a delightfully fine sleek integrated salty and refreshing drink, but with enough body to remain firm and not tilt into the too-sour realm. At least for those who love this style of Muscadet. Lovely.

On another evening I poured the 2005 C&P Breton Chinon Beaumont which has very nice juicy "lush" (for the genre) fruit with a crisp and focused frame, but there is an annoying prickle on the end that has me thinking something was wrong with this bottle. Nonetheless, my non-geek friends guzzled glass after glass with caper, mozzarella, arugla, and tomato sauce pizza.

With gnocchi in fava bean and sugar snap pea sauce, the 2005 Clemens Busch Pundericher Marienburg Kabinett was pleasing enough for the non-critical croud, a crisp and gravelly/earthy rendition of 2005 Mosel kabinett (i.e. it is still relatively round and sweet). This may have been the best match for the food, but everyone preferred the 2005 AJ Adam Kabinett which was a more sparkling and glistening jewel of a wine, with the crunchy spicy forward fruity character that was easier to like. It was really easy to like the 2005 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen Spatlese which had deeper more golden ripeness but also a fresher and finer filigree of acid structure and great clarity to the fruit. We drank this after the gnocchi were finished. Lovely.