The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Auslese Nahe Germany.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2002 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Auslese Nahe Germany.

by Bob Ross » Mon May 28, 2007 9:13 pm

2002 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Auslese Nahe Germany. 8.0% alcohol. 375 ml. $38 at Wine Ventures, Tenafly NJ. Terry Theise Estate Selection. Imported by Michael Skurnik Wines, Syosset, New York.

Mother's Day dinner with Janet's choice of menu: Donnhoff with broiled trout, green beans and sliced almonds.

Pale gold color, clear hue, incredible aroma of fruit and spice, rich, intense Rielsing flavor, a bit sweet, but absolutely lovely tastes that persisted through a very long and complex finish; medium mouth feel, very good acidity, just enough to perfectly balance the trout. Lovely, lovely wine -- robbing the cradle but drinking beautifully. 5*.

Notes: According to Terry Theise: "I often imagine I underrate the Auslesen. After the half-dozen achingly pure Spätlesen, the introduction of botrytis was striking. Some Auslesen relax, but this one dances faster. Almost hyper-active spice and verve. I managed to actually spit this, though my body was in open revolt."

IWC - Schildknecht: '...On the palate, peach with honey, dripping musky florality and a hint of licorice interact with smoky minerality and an almost fiery spiciness. This is very dynamic, right through to its finishing play of pungent smoke and phenolics...'

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2002 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Auslese Nahe Germany.

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 29, 2007 6:50 am

One of the beauties of the Donnhoff Hermannshohle Auslese is that it rarely closes down, unlike its stablemate the Brucke.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: 2002 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Auslese Nahe Germ

by Bob Ross » Tue May 29, 2007 8:00 am

In our house, David, this wine will undoubtedly be tasted at every stage of its evolution.

Janet loves the stuff -- as do her friends. I'm just aboard for the ride. :)