The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Yet another disappointing 98 Rhone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Yet another disappointing 98 Rhone

by Randy Buckner » Mon May 28, 2007 9:59 pm

1998 Château de Montmirail Gigondas -- Ouch! The Brett is swinging a hard left here. I am a Rhone fan, and with it comes some Brett. This was overwhelming and undrinkable. I fed it to the drain gods. BTW, there was no overripeness noted.
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

Re: Yet another disappointing 98 Rhone

by Nathan Smyth » Tue May 29, 2007 1:18 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:I fed it to the drain gods.

With the proviso that I know absolutely nothing at all about this particular wine, you might try putting a cork in it, leaving it on the counter, and revisting it a day or two later.

I never cease to be amazed at what a few days' worth of O2 can do to a wine.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue May 29, 2007 5:25 pm

Ouch is right. I was just getting into southern rhone wines as the '98s hit the market, and was taken by the rave reviews of the vintage - the "gold standard" according to some Maryland lawyer. I put one of about 15 southern Rhones aside for a horozontal some day, everything from CdR's to CdP's. I was looking at 10 years, when I thought the CdPs would at least show where they are headed, the Gigondas and Vacqueyras would be pretty drinkable, and the CdRV's would perhaps be a little past it, but still good. Sound like I wasted some shelf space?
-OW
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue May 29, 2007 5:30 pm

Sound like I wasted some shelf space?

I'm just now getting into my 98s. The Les Cailloux was nice but needs drinking. The Roger Sabon Reservee was pruney. I have hopes for the vintage and won't ding it yet based on three bottles.