The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2000 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard

by Jason Hagen » Tue May 29, 2007 12:52 am

2000 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard (SLH) 13.4%
Okay…so I am not always gaga over Pisoni like so many others. I am often left trying to figure out the allure. Well this was a fantastic bottle of wine. Lively nose that calls you back for more. Toasty but not distracting. Great earth and fruit. At first I was concerned because the wine seemed slightly stewed…but that dissipated. I really liked how the acidity cut through but was not brutish. I loved this wine with my meal but I would not consider it an amazingly complex wine. It does seem to be in its drinking window right now. Considering the tariff on this wine, I still prefer other vineyards. 92 pts.

Peace,
Jason
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2000 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 29, 2007 6:54 am

Jason,

Any idea why Pisoni commands a premium from nearly everyone?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue May 29, 2007 10:04 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Jason,

Any idea why Pisoni commands a premium from nearly everyone?

Nope! I heard one wine-maker say it is like printing money when you put Pisoni on the label. It has certainly built a reputation but I am generally underwhelmed. I must be dull.

Jason
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 29, 2007 12:00 pm

I've had 3 or 4 Pisoni Pinots & don't see why/how it's any better/different from other sources in the local area.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 29, 2007 12:56 pm

I had the impression that the Pisoni thing started pretty much with Adam Lee and Siduri. I believe the first year he made wine from that vineyard, he thought it was his best wine and that's the bottle they left for Parker at his hotel, or something like that. Parker raved, and the fix was in.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue May 29, 2007 4:05 pm

Pisoni.. Parker... I got it.. both start with P.. conspiracy... j/k

All kidding aside... Jason has something of a visceral dislike of Santa Lucia fruit.. in general.. but when it comes to particular bottlings.. well.. not so... he likes Sleepy Hollow stuff.... or some of it... and maybe a Rosella's or two... and now Pisoni fruit...

I don't have the experience or taste memory about these vineyards to have the confidence to generalize.. I remember specific bottles I've liked from SLH fruit.. I too like a lot of the Sleepy Hollow vineyard stuff .....we had the 2003 Pisoni recently, some of which, if not all, likely came from Pisoni... and it was awesome.... so... what the hell am I trying to say??? :roll:

We all make generalizations, I guess.. I like a lot of Pinots made with Rancho Ontiveros fruit... but all of them? Nope.... so.. Jason, bro.. it's ok not to be `gaga' over Pisoni in general.... but maybe with the right vintage, the right block, the right winemaker, the right food, the right friends, the right day, the moon waxing, the baby asleep, the Ducks winning.... SLH stuff can be good!!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue May 29, 2007 4:53 pm

James Dietz wrote:Jason has something of a visceral dislike of Santa Lucia fruit.. in general..

:D Well my visceral dislike of SLH fruit is often more of a game and a little blown out of proportion (by myself :) and others ). And as you say, it is in general (and is in reference to Pinot Noir) My comments will always be based on what is in the bottle and not a personal bias. But I encounter people that wet their pants when they see Pisoni on the label.

But it is clear that great wine could be made from Pisoni vineyard and if people want to pay the extra $$$ for their wine...more power to them :lol:

Truth be told much of the SLH is young vines IIRC so they may continue to develop and it may become one of my favorite regions. In general, it does have distinctive qualities and I am identifying which wine-makers I like with which fruit.

Jason