The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Indulgences

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Indulgences

by Mark S » Tue May 29, 2007 12:53 pm

La Valentina, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, 'Spelt', 2001
A black cherry red color. Perfumy musk ox, burnt house and cherry twig. On the palate are crushed aromatic flowers (roses, lavender, and lilacs come to mind) with blueberry-black raspberry, followed by youthful tannins. The 14.5% alcohol comes out on the finish, making it a little warm tasting. This is fine stuff, but a little too 'clean' tasting to be considered artisinal. B+

Domaine Ferrer-Ribiere, Vin de Pays des Côtes Catalanes, 'Empeinte du Temps', Carignan, 2003
Ridiculously old-vine carignan (126 years) sold for a pittance (under US 20$). The color is a bright, dark raspberry red. Fresh crushed raspberry aroma, along with field mint, and uncured green olives. like drinking fresh raspberry juice with a touch of lemon squeezed into the glass. There's also oxtails & bone meal, with a bright and lively acidity (despite the warm year) and strapping tannins that could use another 3-4 years to shed. 13% Delish. A-

Domaine Zind-Humbrecht, Riesling, Brand, 1998
Color is a sunburned autumn gold leaf. Rich nose of lemon-orange rind flavored with lychee and bee pollen. Despite the high alcohol (15%), it feels lithe in the glass, at least until it warms up. In the beginning, sugar snap peas, light caramel, cyrstallized ginger are followed by key lime pie. Blatant power here, and borderline flamboyant, but it feels reigned in and I am taken by the lingering finish. One of the best recent rieslings I've had. A/A-

Robert Chevillon, Nuits-St-Georges, 'les Roncieres', 2003
A medium dark pinot red with slight purplish highlight toward the edge. Dark forest berry & cinnamon-ginger baked apple aromatics, Californianish baked fruit. Dark sweet fruits of black raspberry and Italian plums, and sweet roasted flavors are primarily the main attraction here. Hedonistic drinking now, but would question its aging curve. Very much similar to a Santa Rita/Santa Barbara pinot noir. Despite the cries of 'atypical', I quite enjoyed it for the sheer fun of it, much like how people enter watermelon throwing contests. Ok, bad analogy, but I gave it an A-

COS, Cerauolo di Vittoria, 2004
From Sicily, a blend of Nero d'Avola & Frappato. medium cranberry red color. Aromas of rose lotion, sour cherry, Flintstones vitamins. In the mouth is bright sour cherry, dusty talc, and wood-wasp bore hole filings. Surprisingly light feeling, but a little one-dimensional. Still, for the price ($20), not bad at all. FWIW, this stood up to Roquefort cheese. B+
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Indulgences

by Jenise » Wed May 30, 2007 8:45 am

Encouraging note on the Chevillons. I purchased some 03 Henri Gouges NSG les Chenes Cartoux recently and wondered, as I put them in the cellar on Sunday, whether I should test one soon. I wouldn't mind the payoff you got, so maybe I will!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Indulgences

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 30, 2007 8:58 am

Way back in February of 2006 I had the 2003 Chevillon Les Saint Georges side by side with a Seasmoke Ten. They were stylistically indistinguishable by a table full of Burg geeks.
Decisions are made by those who show up